Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Intel vs. AMD no unnecessary bias PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
High people most of my comp is gone...so basically I need to purchase a new mobo processor and memory (at least a gig).
I have an agp card(geforce 9500xt) Im not looking for a disc drive, hard drive, power supply or case and I wouldnt mind if the mobo had a pci-e slot in addition to agp but thats def. not neccisary. my budget is about 400 tops with maybe a little squeeze room(i can build what I want basically for 300).

What I dont know what to do is go with amd which would be more expensive for a good processor or if I should go with intel.
NO UNNECCASSARY BIAS im not looking to cause a thing where people come in and just write "intel sucks". I had amd before and it was good I have no prefrence.
Intel ends up w/ higher specs (3ghtz, 800mht fsb, 775pins, 2mb second levle cashe,=$180) then amd for a processor the same price range(2.2 ghtz, 3400, 512kb second level cache, and a ddr400 top comunication speed with ram (standard on all amd), fsb 1066, 939 pins,=$202) I dont like how amd cant have ddr2 ram. thanks for any tips! grrrrar!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well DDR2 is unnecesarry for AMD because of the much better on chip memory controller, they are introducing DDR2 in the new socket but its more of a cost thing than it is performance.

Whats the core and intel equivalency rating of the AMD, Core is really important an old winnie wont be as good as a new venice, and when it comes to AMD we have all learned by now the only numbers that matter are the benchmarks and game FPS. AMD are generally much cheaper than intel if you compare chips from the same generation the older P4s are cheaper than the new AMDs but the same is true for the old amds, you have to be careful to judge whats what, which is harder for intel because they went for so long operating under P4 until they changed to the next brand.

Post more specs , and whats the computer for.

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
well it would be for gaming/ video editing and other non-demanding apps. my previous/current(but broken) setup is an amd atholon xp 3000+, soyo kt600 mobo, 512 ddr333 memory what were you saying about ddr2? it says it faster and Im sure its not lieing, no matter how you control the memory or manage it, it still is faster, and there are new p4s with 64bit support and 775 pins big imporvement on there old 478 socket. the processor also has faster speed and comunication w/ the ram the fsb is is lower but like I said the processor has twice as much cache.

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
well im my opinion instead of being totaly bias witch i am normaly i will give you some ups and downs of both.....

Intel:
high core speeds (if u get the Pet. 4)
fairly good reliability

AMD:
Faster FSB witch means it uses your RAM more Ef. so if u ha little RAM u should go with AMD
Rivals core speed (new AMD Athlon™ 64 FX ) of Intel but doesnt surpass it
just as reliable as intel

The Verdict:
Intel gives you the most prosesser speed so u can brag but when it comes down to it AMD has more than twice the FSB so AMD wins

Hope i helped

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well my specs are listed below,
but i have found that my intel processor 531 3.0 ghz is great :whistling: it does everything that i need
i have a sony DVD handy cam so i do alot of DVD editing and burnig the intels are far far better than AMD's at video processing and multi tasking because of there high clock speeds

i have been told that AMD's are better for gaming but really i dont think thast there is much difference i play battlefield 2 and other games alike and it handles that fine really fine i have a pretty crappy GFX card so that is where im a little disappointed but if one day ( oh i wish ) i upgrade the GFX card then my system would be sweet,

if you are planning to do DVD editing intels are the way to go
but thats my 2 cents,
troppo

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I have an agp card(geforce 9500xt)

no such thing.... there's a GeForce 6500 and a Radeon 9600XT....did you mean either of those?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Sys. specs below
Pentiums are good, and AMD's are good. Pentiums are expensive, AMD's relatively speaking are not. AMD's seem a lot more stable in applications, and when you alt+tab to your desktop while playin BF2 or whatever,the amd goes right to the desktop and then right back. The pentiums take a while to do the same task. Basically, the AMD's are better at multitasking. This is just from my personal experience. But, the 2 rigs Im comparing arent in the same league. Id say go with the AMD setup its way cheaper and just as reliable (if no more so) than the pentium.
-Pete.