Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp problems

• Please log in to reply

tommkell

tommkell

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi , ive been having problems with my computer the last couple of days, freezes, programs crashing/running slow , not letting me uninstall games/programs and acting very strange. i can usually sort problems out myself but i havnt a clue with this one :tazz: any help would be much appreciated. thanks tom

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Welcome to geektogo, as a rule of thumb I suggest trying out these spyware programs before continuing further and following the advice given. Link below.

http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
thx, tried everything on the list but it says my computer is clean. here is the hijack this log:

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum. your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

Its now just been removed.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
oh, ive also noticed when i go into My Computer the icon has changed from the hard drive icon to a page icon, also when the desktop icons refresh they start out as the hard drive icon now. :tazz:

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
you were told when you were agentx not to post links to your competing forum...and you're being told now...if you would like to help out with malware here you must go through geekU....since you've re-registered with a different name after being banned and you are posting the same things that got you banned, you are now suspended

Posted Image

We ban spammers in these parts.

Edited by ScHwErV, 28 February 2006 - 12:08 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you're an old member, you should know that we redirect people with malware issues to the malware forum. You should also know that other than a couple of missing file errors in the 09 setting, he's clear of any obvious infection

Tom, please do not post hijack logs in this section unless asked, and then, only do so as an attachment

As for your issues, I would begin by removing all things stardock (webblinds, icon packager, bootscreen loader). You can reinstall them later, but get them out of the way for now as possible causes

Next, please right click on MY COMPUTER, choose MANAGE, and go to event viewer

look at APPLICATIONS and SYSTEM for event errors that occured around the time of the errors you are seeing

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok dude, did what you said and it gave me a load of errors about the hard drive, so i did a full error check and it found an error in my steam account which was crashing on me, steam now works fine. :)

i am now in the process of deleting the games that would not uninstall (install log not found) manually out of program files. i think it may have something to do with me deleting these gamefiles from the registry then doing a system restore.

im still having a problem with the c: drive in My Computer. the icon for it is wrong and a lot of other file types e.g mds, mdf are that of a hard drive. if you have any advice on this it would be good.
thanks for your help so far :tazz:
tom

Edited by tommkell, 28 February 2006 - 03:19 PM.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
my pc is still crashing. everytime i try to fix the icons all closed programs remain in the background.
then when i do a restart it says "closing program-explorer.exe", then it says the program is not responding so i hit end now. i uninstalled the stardock software then when that didnt work tried installing it again.
i think it may be a problem with explorer.exe. any ideas?
thx tom :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
leave stardock stuff off until we are back to normal please--because stardock integrated at the shell level, you are making life for yourself more difficult

What is the icon for you harddrive look like?

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok, uninstalled stardock, the icon for the c: drive is a white page with a folded corner with a window containing 6 icons on it. hope that makes sense.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
regedit
<enter>

navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe

Are there any subfolders to this key?

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
no, none.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what about here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
yeah, 3 subfolders. H, I and J.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
but not c:...and c is the drive we are talking about, right?