Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re: Pinned: Audio Editors (TWENTY)

• Please log in to reply

Roger_Bagula

Roger_Bagula

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This from audio computer expert Gary Thompson:
Roger et al ...

Mixere - mini review

This is a weird piece of software. It is touted a a mixer, but really
is only a player that allows you to play multiple audio files
simultaneously. Very strange, because I could not find much use for it.

It installs easily and is very simple to operate.

One of its quirks is that the default for volume is zero. So when a
file is loaded, it begins playing at zero volume. You must remember to
raise the volume level in order to hear it.

If you bring in some pre-recorded audio files - one per instrument -
it acts like a sequencer. Everything stays in sync, but just alter the
pitch on a track and it immediately gets totally out of sync.

The bottom line is that when everything has been mixed to your liking
you cannot save the result except as a mix file, which contains all
your presets but you can't export the audio result.

One interesting use is to load the same wave file on different tracks,
then pan each one left and right, then play with the volume of each
track to get a 3D effect. But bottom line, you can't save your result
as an audio file.
-----------------------
I'm Roger Bagula
removed
I'd appreciate it if that post were withdrawn
or some of the money he got for posting it should be coming our way... ha, ha...
Stupid posts by moderators aren't really a good idea.
Special when they come up in Google! :tazz:
Roger Bagula

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what post are you refering to? in fact...what are you talking about at all?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
[quote name='http://sourceforge.net/projects/mixere/']Mixere is a standalone Windows application for mixing audio files. It has a spreadsheet-like interface that's ideal for live performance, and especially live sound collage. Imagine unlimited racks full of CD players, all connected to an automated mixer [/quote]

[quote name='http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95156&hl=Mixere']Mixere is a free, open-source application for mixing audio files. It runs on Windows NT/2000/XP, and supports WAV, AIFF, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Flac, and Mod audio files.

Mixere is optimized for live performance, and especially for creating live sound collage. Conceptually, it’s like a rack full of CD players connected to an automated mixer. Mixere's features include dynamic looping of audio, auto-triggering of audio, fully automated sliders, "soft" (gradual) mute/solo operations, crossfading between documents, and unlimited undo.

A Mixere document consists of a number of tracks, each containing a single audio file. Any number of tracks can play simultaneously, subject only to the limits of Windows and sound card performance. Audio is streamed directly from disk, so there's no limit on audio file size, and no waiting for audio to be loaded into memory.

Mixere's interface is similar to a spreadsheet. The rows are tracks, and the columns are properties which can be adjusted for each track: name, transport (play/pause/stop/loop), mute/solo, volume, pan, pitch (+/- one octave), and audio position. [/quote]

looks like keith just expounded on the home page's representation of the software?

[quote]I'd appreciate it if that post were withdrawn
or some of the money he got for posting it should be coming our way... ha, ha...[/quote]

first...he didn't get paid for posting it....second...it's opensource software...so why would you get paid for him posting about it?

[quote]
Stupid posts by moderators aren't really a good idea.
Special when they come up in Google!
Roger Bagula[/quote]
how was his post stupid? it's an accurate representation of the software that he linked to?

think before you post

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moderator or not, Keith is 100% entitled to his opinion and he may state it here. If you have a differing opinion, feel free to elaborate, however, any personal attacks on anyone at this site, moderator or not, will absolutely not be tolerated.

You like the software, he doesnt. Get over it.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Roger_Bagula

Roger_Bagula

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You even read posts before you respond here?
I said the software seems to suck big time...
The guy who posted about it should probably not just read the blurb about it...
It's bad software when tested by an expert.
Gary Thompson said ,
" you can't same the audio files in a transportabale, aiff, wav, mp3 ... or anything except the program form.
It is useless..."
Shouldn't have been programmed if you can make decent use of it!
Shouldn't be promoted by a moderator of an egroup like this.
My name is Roger Bagula,
I moderate removed.
You're not geeks,
you're just stupid people
who can't seem to read their own posts by moderators.
If you want media geeks come to my removed.
We tend to try software in our removed and comment on it in a reasonable
sane way...
I just thought that you needed feedback on a very bad post here.
If you can't take the heat,
get off...
Roger L. Bagula.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for taking the time to post your comments, however, you manage to state it isn't a mixer but that

when everything has been mixed to your liking you cannot save the result except as a mix file

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

My name is Roger Bagula,
I moderate removed
called music by computers.
You're not geeks,
you're just stupid people
who can't seem to read their own posts by moderators.
If you want media geeks come to my removed
We tend to try software in our removed and comment on it in a reasonable
sane way...

Just searched the yahoo groups list...couldn't find you guys...wanna provide a link?

ckorda

ckorda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To Gary Thompson or whoever posted this:

I'm the developer of Mixere, and I would like to correct some misunderstandings about my software.

>>>This is a weird piece of software. It is touted a a mixer, but really

Mixere is a specialized type of audio mixer, with an emphasis on automation. It's designed for performing live sound collages, as its home page (http://mixere.sourceforge.net/) clearly states. Many people have found it useful for that purpose, or for making soundscapes for film or theatre.

>>>you can't save your result as an audio file.

Did anyone say that Mixere records audio? I certainly didn't. If you want to record Mixere's output, you will need to install some additional software. See the following link from the documentation:
http://mixere.source...s/Recording.htm

>>>One of its quirks is that the default for volume is zero.

If you had bothered to read the documentation, you would have discovered that the default values for all track sliders (volume, pan, pitch, position) can be changed. See: http://mixere.source...ng_Defaults.htm

>>>but just alter the pitch on a track and it immediately gets totally out of sync.

Mixere makes it simple to create a collage of loops that drift in and out of phase relative to one another, not only in terms of sample position, but also in terms of pan, volume, and pitch. This is in fact the whole point of Mixere. If that capability doesn't interest you, either A) don't use Mixere, or B) modify it to suit your needs. Mixere is not optimized for DJing, playing your MP3 collection at parties, etc.

Reviewing is different from mere opining; it implies both relevant expertise, and substantial familiarity with the thing being reviewed. I won't presume to judge your expertise, but since it's clear that you made little effort to educate yourself about Mixere, I hardly see why anyone should take your opinion about it seriously.

-Chris Korda
http://whorld.org

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Roger_Bagula

I tried to be nice and give you a chance to explain yourself, but rather than take that and decide to be a decent human being, you snagged onto a small mistake on my part and used it to bash me and the rest of the volunteer staff here. We have no need for people like you, that is why your membership here is ending.

You like the software, he doesnt. Get over it.

Wow, I mistakenly got that backwards. So sorry.

The references to this person's group/site will be removed. The topic starter has been banned. Those interested in this topic may continue here, however please note that the original topic starter cannot respond anymore.

ScHwErV :tazz: