Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Dvd-Rw isn't working right.

• Please log in to reply

Steve1985

Steve1985

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Last night I took a DVD-RW from an old computer that wasn't being used. It was new and never used before the computer stopped being used. Then I took it out and added it to my computer. Last night to test it I put in a game and it ran and installed fine but wouldn't recognise blank disks when I tried burning a disk. Then after restarting my computer it won't recognize any disk but its still being shown under my computer and device manager. When I put a disk in to play it will do the auto run but when I try to play it says insert correct CD. Any Help on what I should do?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you had an existing CDROM in your computer before you installed the new DVD-RW, then more than likely the existing one is jumpered as "Master". Since the DVD-RW came from another computer, and given it may have been the only drive, it too might be set to Master.

There cannot be 2 Master CD/DVD drives existing on a single IDE channel... so, I have to ask the most basic of questions... did you set the jumper on the new DVD-RW to Slave or is it set to Master?

Steve1985

Steve1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yea I set it to slave and have the existing one is master.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok... let's try this first...
Open my computer and right click on the DVD-RW drive. Choose Properties and then the Recording tab. Make sure the Enable CD Recording on this drive is checked. You may have to restart your computer for the changes to stick.

Steve1985

Steve1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yea thats checked. And i checked that already.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There seems to be a lot of CD/DVD problems lately in the forum. A lot of times, just deleting the CD/DVD in Device manager and having Windows redetect will fix the problem. Other times, it takes having to clear the keys of the CD/DVD in the registry, and force Windows to rehash those keys.

If you haven't already gone through the delete/redetect scenario, you can try that. Also, you can try forcing Windows to rehash the registry keys by downloading the cdgone patch. Normally the cdgone patch is for when the drives aren't even detected, but it may work also if the keys are misidentifying or are corrupt for your device. I just had another poster use the cdgone patch and it cleard out her problem. Read post #6 of THIS THREAD and follow the directions. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by makai, 27 February 2006 - 07:30 PM.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Download this utility
http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm

Steve1985

Steve1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I did what you said it's doing the samething didn't work.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
you say the Autorun from the CD start but whe you try to play it says insert the correct CD? What CD were you trying to play?

Steve1985

Steve1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have that part working now. I uninstalled the burning software that came with the burner and it runs discs and games now just it still won't read a blank disk so I can burn.

Edited by Steve1985, 28 February 2006 - 12:02 AM.

Steve1985

Steve1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was told to try to install Nero demo see if it would help but the demo said it was expired and I haven't ever installed it on this computer.