Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless USB Adapter stops connection when running certain programs

• Please log in to reply

dickdynamite

dickdynamite

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello I'm wondering can anyone help me out with this problem because its driving me nuts. I recently purchased a canyon wireless LAN USB Adapter 802.11g so i could stop having my annoying ethernet cable running between rooms. It works great for downloading files and viewing stuff on the net.the only problem is when i go to play games or when i run certain programs like worms armageddon or ipod videora converter the wireless network disconnects and shows an X in the icon.As soon as I close these applications the network reconnects no problem.This is very frustrating as I can't play any games online with it and have to revert back to my ethernet cable in order to do so.I've done all the research and posted a thousand questions and got back nothing.I'm running an almost brand new PC have all the updates including windows service pack 2 and have tampered with all the wireless settings hundreds of times to try and fix this but to no avail so if anyone out there knows anything at all on how to fix this I'd really appreciate it. Cheers Dick.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried using other usb ports to connect the wireless device to?

worms armageddon

awesome game

dickdynamite

dickdynamite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks for the reply, yea I tried it on all four of my usb ports and still the same : disconnects when i run the program then reconnects as soon as i exit it. I thought it might just be the adapter itself ie not powerful enough to play games online with but then why would it disconnect when i run ipod videora converter an application that doesn't even require internet access? i'm stumped guess i'l just have to bring out the 20ft long ethernet cable anytime i wana play games online.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
strangest thing i've ever seen...

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Connect wirelessly, load up one of your games, wait for your connection to die, and then goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings that co-incide with the time that you started up the game. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within. Also, please post any other errors/warnings, even if they don't coincide with the time of your loss of connection.

Might give us a little bit of information to play with.

Also, when you lose your connection, what happens when you go to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.

dickdynamite

dickdynamite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok thanks for the reply I’d basically just given up so I didn’t expect anyone to post any other info for me. When i run eventvwr after the wireless connection drops nothing really comes up for the time that it occurred but there are numerous other errors and warnings i don’t know if these have anything to do with it but i’ll paste them anyways.

I’ve got this error message 3 times:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 07/02/2006
Time: 16:23:05
User: N/A
Computer: JACK
Description:
The PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp

This error message 2 times

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7023
Time: 16:30:00
Description:
The IPSEC Services service terminated with the following error:
The authentication service is unknown.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp..

And the next 3 are warning that I’ve got loads and loads a times

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1003
Time: 20:07:03
Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000E2E390BC2. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1007
Time: 17:31:15
Description:
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000E2E390BC2. The IP address being used is 169.254.121.139.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Event Source: Tcpip
Event ID: 4226
Date: 07/03/2006
Time: 19:36:59
Description:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ....‚..€
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Also when I run the CMD thingy both operations just say “no operation can be performed on local area connection 2 while it has its media disconnected”

I don’t know if any of this means or if is relevant or not but thanks a lot for your help I appreciate it.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi,

Let's fix this error first -- TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
Please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 100). Reboot your computer and test your connection.
Do you still become disconnected? *NOTE: Ignore any prompts from Windows to insert your Windows XP CD to repair files; this is normal, and is simply letting you know that you have modified a Systems file -- there is no System instability.

- Dan

dickdynamite

dickdynamite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey Dan,

I ran the patcher it didn't give me the option to increase the limit to 100 only to 50 so i did it anyway but no luck still the same business of disconnection when i run certain programs.I ran the patcher again,wondering if it would give me the option of 100 this time but now it's change the limit to 10 instead,so i left it.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Has that particular TCP error occurred since you increased the limit to 50?

If you restart your computer into Safe Mode with Networking, and then run that iPod application, does your connection still disconnect?

Do you have any form of encryption enabled (WEP, WAP etc)? If so, try disabling it, then running these applications; do you still become disconnected?

dickdynamite

dickdynamite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i don't think this tcp error has anything to do with it,i also think i may have already had my limit up to 100 and using the patcher decreased it to 50,anyways yea still have the odd error from it only 1 in fact.when i run the pc in safe mode with networking its still the same problem. And I turned off my WEP encryption (took some time to eventually be able to connect without encryption) so I've no privacy set up now and yep still the same problem.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Do you use any third party software to connect wirelessly, when you start the software that kicks you do you get a ig drop in speed.

If you use thirdparty software try disabling it and using the windows wireless service instead.

You migh try looking for a firmware update for the adpaters, and for the software in question.

dickdynamite

dickdynamite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello warriorscot
Have all the updates i use the windows zero configuration utility,no drop in speed just disconnection straight away,then when i close the application it reconnects straight away??????????? i'm lost.

dickdynamite

dickdynamite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ANY IDEAS YET?

dickdynamite

dickdynamite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok not too impressed with the responses so this can be closed.I resolved the problem myself thanks to the dudes who tried helpin me out.

svnlvn

svnlvn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
please can you tell me how you fixed the problem? i have exactly the same thing happening to me =(