Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Boot at All

• Please log in to reply

BoneGeek

BoneGeek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I have a PC running Windows XP. I turned it on the other day and it will not boot at all. It tries to access the DVD drive over and over (flashing green light each time). I disconnect the drive and try again and nothing. In either case, nothing shows up on the monitor, not even a flicker. I also tried inserting the Windows bootup CD and it does not run.

I've never run into this problem before, but I am assuming it's the motherboard. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

Edited by BoneGeek, 27 February 2006 - 06:36 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello BoneGeek...

Do you hear a "beep" shortly after powering on?

wannabe1

BoneGeek

BoneGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, forgot to include that.

No, there's nothing at all. The computer powers up and right away it tries to access the DVD drive to no avail.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try reseating the RAM in the slot(s). This almost sounds like it's processor related. Had the machine been acting up just prior to this happening?

BoneGeek

BoneGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just tried reseating the RAM and that fixed it. It now makes perfect sense to me. Thanks a bunch!

It acted up a little before. It made a connection to the my router, but I couldn't get out on the Internet even though the connection was working for my roomate. That's the only thing it's done recently. That problem fixed itself but then it wouldn't boot up. I don't know what could of caused it.

Edited by BoneGeek, 27 February 2006 - 06:52 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It may have just been a poor connection in the slot...it happens. The other thing that causes a no post like that is the processor. I'm glad it was the RAM!

Glad to help! :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 27 February 2006 - 06:56 PM.