Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Problem-Can't Connect To the Internet throuh Cable Modem

• Please log in to reply

baldysr

baldysr

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is the problem:

i hooked up everything followed all the instructions and the internet will still not connect on either pcs. i am trying to share an internet connection between two pc's with windows xp on both using a motorolla surboard cable modem and a LKR-604 Linkskey 4-port High Speed Cable/DSL Internet BroadBand Router. I want to share the internet connection from the cable modem. so the way it is set up is cable internet>cable modem>WAN Line on Router>ethernet lines from router to both pc's. here is a list of things i have done and haven't worked:

-released and renewed ip addresses
-checked that dhcp and dns services were enabled
-cloned the mac address
-repair connection through LAN properties
-automatic detection set on internet explorer
-reset modem>router>computers

the lan connection says it is connected and i can view the other computer through my network places(however the other computer can't view mine) but still no internet connection. i also am not able to access the router configuration through my other computer because it says an administrator has already logged onto the site.

here is the configurations for both computers:

mine:
Physical Address: 00-11-5B-B3-5A-73
IP Address: 24.144.27.99
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 24.144.27.1
DHCP Server: 24.144.0.30
Lease Obtained: 2/27/2006 5:45:17 PM
Lease Expires: 2/28/2006 1:45:17 AM
DNS Servers: 24.144.0.3, 24.144.0.4
WINS Server:blank

other computer:
Physical Address: 00-03-6D-1D-94-3E
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: Doesn't appear
Lease Obtained: Doesn't appear
Lease Expires: Doesn't appear
DNS Servers: blank
WINS Server: blank

what do i need to do?

Advertisements

baldysr

baldysr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ohh yeah i have a mcafee personal firewall which i swith to allow networking options, and i have also changed the windows firewall to allow lan connections. but still no luck. I just looked at my other computer and it says under ipconfig/all in DOS that the following are not enabled: IP Routing, WINS Proxy, and DHCP. I will try to enable those and restart all hardware and see if that works. But i am not quite sure how to enable those but i think i can figure it out.

anyone got any ideas

baldysr

baldysr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
do you think manually configuring ip addresses and what not would be possible or work?

baldysr

baldysr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well, i just disabled both window firewalls and now both computers have internet connections

but the other computer cannot access my shared folders when it tries to access our network and error pops up that says the network is not accesible, and that the computer might not have permission. contact the administrator...network path not found.

any ideas?

any concerns?

i use mcaffe firewall
and i am installing zone alarm on the other computer

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi baldysr,

do you think manually configuring ip addresses and what not would be possible or work?

Let's try it. Before we start, it might be a good idea to restart your computer(s) into Safe Mode with Networking, to ensure there is no software interfering with your connection.

How to restart into Safe Mode with Networking
Please restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Safe Mode with Networking (along with a few others). Please tap the down key until you reach Safe Mode with Networking, and then press the Enter key. Your computer should now boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

Now, on the computer you labeled mine, please goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address [192.168.1.2], Subnet Mask [255.255.255.0] and Default Gateway [192.168.1.1] --> Now select Use the following DNS Servers --> Enter in these two DNS Servers [24.144.0.3 and 24.144.0.4 ] --> Press OK.

On the computer you labeled as other computer, please goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address [192.168.1.3], Subnet Mask [255.255.255.0] and Default Gateway [192.168.1.1] --> Now select Use the following DNS Servers --> Enter in these two DNS Servers [24.144.0.3 and 24.144.0.4 ] --> Press OK.

Now, try to connect to the Internet on each computer; are you able to? If not, please restart them both back into Normal Mode, and then try to connect to the Internet again; are you able to? If not, on both computers please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: PING 192.168.1.1 - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Thanks,
Dan.

baldysr

baldysr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
so i manually fixed the Configurations on both pc's and here is what i got:

Mine:
Physical Address: 00-11-5B-B3-5A-73
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
WINS Server:

other computer:
Physical Address: 00-03-6D-1D-94-3E
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
WINS Server:

Here is what i got from pingING 192.168.1.1
My Computer
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Seth Baldy>PING 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

other computer pretty similar except maximum=1ms

The internet connection works for my pc, i can connect, but the other pc cannot. it show's my computer in the other computer's network and that computer can view my shared files, but it cannot connect. it worked earlier today where both computer's could connect but after i downloaded the following programs on the other computer: zonealarm firealarm, adawre se-personal, spybot, and antivirus programs, and cccleaner, and then cleaned up all of the spyware, adaware and malaware, and then restarted the other computer the it would not connect to the internet. after i manually changed the tcp/ip settings above it allowed the other computer to view my files, but not connect to the internet.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but the first time i got both computers to access the internet (although the other computer could not access my shared files) was when i realized that the other computer's windows firewall was on. when i manually turned it off then both computer's could access the internet but the other computer could still not access my computers shared files because it lacked administrator approval. then when i restarted the computer after running all of those cleaning programs it's internet connection wouldntt work and when you try to access the windows firewall settings an error pops up that says: the firewall settings can't be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the firewall/internet connection sharing service and when you click yes it says it can't start the firewall/ICS service.

the other computer's LAN say's it is connected but still won't connect to the internet. I have tried restarting both computers and reseting the cable modem and router, but no luck.

any clues?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi baldsyr,

Sorry for the slow response. For the computer that's not able to connect to the Internet, please try the following (you may need to transfer some of these files across your network). Also, whilst troubleshooting it's a good idea to disable all firewalls.

Try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then do the following:
1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test.

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

Thanks,
Dan.

baldysr

baldysr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well the winsockxpfix program worked.

thanks, both computers now work and can share through the shared programs.

do i still need to run the lspfix program. or do anything else.

thanks for help

-baldysr

p.s. what do i need to do about a firewall for the other computer.

i took off zonealarm and which i think is what caused the problem to begin with
does that computer need a firewall, and if so what would you recommend. the windows firewall was the original problem. When i turned off the windows firewall the other computer was allowed access.

any thoughts?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi baldsyr,

Personally, I've never liked ZoneAlarm; however the (free) firewall that I use is Kerio, and after the initial setup, it works great. I would highly recommend using it.

do i still need to run the lspfix program. or do anything else.

No, if everything is working, then you should be set :tazz:

Let us know if you run into any other problems.
- Dan