Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security center is empty

• Please log in to reply

kruhl

kruhl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
To start with, my McAfee antivirus found a few virus's. It told me that it couldn't delete them. Then my Mcafee totally self destructed. I couldn't reinstall McAfee to save myself. With no help from McAfee I finally was able to reinstall it by cleaning out every reference to McAfee in my Windows registry.
Now when I click on my "security center" icon there is nothing listed anymore. It simply states the following, "The security center is currently unavailable because the "security center" service has not started or was stopped. I tried rebooting the computer as suggested but it still doesn't work.
If I try to turn it on in services it isn't there. How can you repair this short of a windows repair.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

kruhl

kruhl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks but I just found the answer here at
http://windowsxp.mvp...centericons.htm

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

kruhl

kruhl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No problem Keith. By the way I must say you have a nice first name. Can you guess what mine is. LOL