Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cod2

• Please log in to reply

derek44

derek44

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i just bought call of duty 2 and cant seem to run it on my computer.it just says "error during initialization: video card or driver does not support alpha blending". My computer is only like 6 months old. it is a compaq presario SR1430NX .i hope this isnt a dumb question but can my computer play this and how the [bleep] do i do it. thank you for your time. :tazz:

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello derek44 and welcome to G2G!

Your computer was sold with an Intel integrated graphics card, which isn't capable of running the game. You need to upgrade your graphics card.

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
[bleep] it. well how much is a good video card.which one do you recommend and do i need to bring the tower in for a tech guy to install it?keep in mind i have never opened or installed any hardware on a computer ever. thanks for your time.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
What I didn't notice on your product specs is that you've not got an AGP slot, so getting a graphics card capable of running Call of Duty2 at a decent speed is slim. PCI graphics cards (which is what you'll need) are becoming very hard to come by. Something like a Geforce 5700 or a Geforce 5500 may be able to run the game but you'll have to lower the resolution and the quality settings. The better but more expensive option would be to change your motherboard to one with an AGP slot, then you'll be able to run it with an AGP graphics at the kind of resolution it's meant to be played.

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
so what you are saying is if i really wanted to play call of duty 2 i need to spend a bunch of money,i would have to bring in my computer to pay someone to install it and thats only if i am lucky enough to find the right type of card i need?so this will be alot of money/time/effort just to play this game?if thats the case i think i just wasted the 60 bucks for the game because all the effort to upgrade for 1 game isnt worth it is it?thank you for your help/time.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Whether it's worth it or not depends on how much you want to play the game.

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i will probaly just look for a new game. but is this a common thing that will happen to my computer?in other words should i really look at what i need to run a game or is this game rare in its needs?i like using computers but all the tech stuff about it might as well be a foreign language i really dont understand it. i want a good new game that i can play so would most be able to play on my comp or what?thank you for your time

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah its a common thing that will happen from here on out if you look for the newer games especially. You need a faster video card or new motherboard/ video card.

Or just save up your money and buy a new pc in 6months or less. (do this if you are interested in playing any of the new games that are graphically intensive).

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
crummy. i just bought this computer like 6 months ago and the future shop guy said this will play any new game for years to come.guess i am the sucker who paid his commision. i guess this isnt a game playing computer than.i guess i will have to stick with stacraft from 97 lol. how expensive around would a new video card plus intsallation run me do you think?i mean all said and done are we talking under 100 under 500 or like a grand to do it all?tnx

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

crummy. i just bought this computer like 6 months ago and the future shop guy said this will play any new game for years to come.guess i am the sucker who paid his commision. i guess this isnt a game playing computer than.i guess i will have to stick with stacraft from 97 lol. how expensive around would a new video card plus intsallation run me do you think?i mean all said and done are we talking under 100 under 500 or like a grand to do it all?tnx

LOL it wont play games now or years to come because you dont have an expansion slot at all for a good video card.

Your pc only has regular old pci which is crummy for video cards but some work okay..

Onboard video sucks for any new game. Wont even run most of the newer games.

Just get a regular pci video card you should be able to find one that will play the games you want to but you wont be able to play them on high settings or anything with a regular pci video card.

Look at a pci fx 5500 or the fx 5500 oc version.

**Has to be Regular PCI** "PCI" not pci express. With the model number you gave I looked on sites it doesnt have any expansion slots but pci.

So get a video card like the 5500 or get a motherboard that supports your current cpu and memory then just get a good quality video card.

The thing is you might run into problems when using a manufacturers case with a new motherboard. More than likely it wont work

So your only options are

1. get a pci video card (the newer games wont play real great but you could atleast be able to play them on low or a hair higher).

2. Get a new case, motherboard, and video card and use all the current hardware to install on it. Might as well buy a new powersupply to with more power to accomidate a better video card.
All of the parts I listed above vary in price from cheap to expensive. Just those parts wont be that much.
Quick estimates depending on what you pick out. Case -$75, Motherboard -$90 (you can get a cheaper one or more expensive up to you) Video card -$180 Minimum for a high quality video card to play the game nicely.. again its up to you... Power supply -$60-$88 depending on what you choose.

3. Get a new pc and make shure you have pci express available on the motherboard so you can put a sweet video card in it. Remember from now on, dont buy a pc unless it has Pci express 16X for the video card slot!!

Agp is still fine but its older but its way better than a regular pci video card.

Hope this helps :tazz:

Advertisements

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok i will do that. if i where to buy a new computer tower what is the best one for gaming?tnx again

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Do you mean the tower as in the complete pc with everything in it?

The manufactured pc's are not really meant for gaming but some are and you can upgrade the video card in them also.

There is plenty of custom pc companies on the net that will put everything together and you pick out whatever parts they have to choose from.

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
is there a company on the net that you would recommend looking at?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Custom companies that you can customize and they will put it together and ship it to you.

http://www.buyxg.com/

http://www.cyberpowe...com/Default.asp

http://www.monarchcomputer.com

Edited by jrm20, 28 February 2006 - 04:42 PM.

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
can the computer i have now play call of duty 1?