Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading my video card...

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey everyone,
I just found a great price on a 6800GS. I am thinking of upgrading. Would the rest of my system be able to keep up? Check out my sig below for all the specs...

Advertisements

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
The 6800 GS is PCI-E. Perhaps you are thinking of a 7800 GS? Your processor might be a bottleneck, haven't used an XP for a while now. Your PSU should definitely be upgraded if you are gonna get a stronger card. I would reccomend just save up, get a new proc and motherboard, 6800 GS, and new PSU. Also, you might want to check the memory. What speed is it?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
the 6800gs come in pci express and now it comes in agp 8x also...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The PSU should be allright, just, the cpu will be your biggest bottleneck though.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hmmm. Unless I would be getting the most out of my card, it doesn't seem worth it.

I have been torn this whole time. I can't decide whether to upgrade my video card now and suffer the penalty of the rest of my stuff trying to keep up... :tazz:

or...

Just stick with what I have and save up for a while to do a whole system overhaul (CPU, mobo, PSU, video card). :)

My computer is not getting any younger, but at the same time I am not getting any richer (not to throw at a new comp anyways...)

Thanks for the reply guys. :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well at the moment your system is fairly balanced, they invented the high intrest savings account for the very reason that you dont always have as much money as you need to do what you want some months.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Well I bought the card (I figured I could just return it if it doesn't work out). I installed it and my 3DMark05 score went from an average of 2100 to an average of 4500. More than twice the difference! I'd say it's worth it.

But, when I actually started playing a game (COD2), I didn't actually notice much difference in performance compared to my old card. The only thing that caught my attention was when there was low detail to render (i.e. going through tunnels or under archways) in which it was as smooth as butter. Quite amazing.

EDIT: After using it for a bit, I realize that I am not getting my money's worth out of the card suring average gameplay. I am going to end up returning it after all. It's still an amazing card, just not worth the extra money to upgrade from my old one....

Edited by UV_Power, 21 March 2006 - 12:50 AM.