Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-R and CD-RW

• Please log in to reply

squeekerd

squeekerd

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[b] Can anyone tell me why my CD burner will not recognize a blank CD-RW but it will work with a CD-R? Not knowing a lot about computers I have checked everything I think might be wrong and can find nothing to tell me why this happened. It has in the past worked with either disc but now will not see an RW disc. It keeps telling me to put a disc in E:/ which is my CD burner drive. Thanks for any help you might be able to give me. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bad disk or bad batch of discs would be th emost likely guess

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I have had only certain brands work at times also, in addition to what gerryf said. :tazz:

squeekerd

squeekerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Thanks. I have tried a lot of different ones but none work..I mainly stick with HP which is my computer also. There has to be some driver I am missing or something is how I see it. I have emailed HP to see if they can tell me anything. I also plan to use a disc cleaner today and see if the so called eye might be dirty or something like that. Not even sure it has an eye but that is my concept of this machine. I do appreciate your suggestions though. I can use the R blanks so it is not big deal. It just bugs me to no end. Again thanks for the input.

Edited by squeekerd, 28 February 2006 - 07:28 AM.

Zoey Z

Zoey Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Since wen did it start acting dat way? Has it always been dat way??

squeekerd

squeekerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I really don't know because most of my CD's are done on CD-R. I have not changed anything except the printer when I added my HP1610 all in one but it is USB so should be no problem with any other hardware. Is very mystifying to say the least. thanks

try.again

try.again

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

i'd experienced some problems with with printer in the past. Searched the web for it and
found on
http://www.filegurus...=1109817239,q=5
an hint, that the installation software for the printers seems to remove two libraries
from the windows\system32 folder. You might give it a try to search for those lib's.
At least they are not present with HP's installation, might have impact on the drive,
one never knows.

Good luck.

squeekerd

squeekerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will do a search and see if I have that .dll on here. The printer is working fine. It is the CD Rom that just will not recognize a CD-RW disc as even being in the drive but will recognize a CD-R. It is no big deal. It does work and I rarely use CD-RW discs so I don't know when it started but the printer is working great. I appreciate your imput and will look into your suggestion. Thank you. I do have the restore discs and wonder if I put them in will it do a full restore or can I get to just the drivers for that drive to reinstall them maybe. I have like 8 discs that HP had to send me from the lawsuit filed for not including those discs with the computer but not sure how to use them.

Edited by squeekerd, 08 March 2006 - 06:27 AM.