Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost ability to browse network

• Please log in to reply

wendith

wendith

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I have a windows server 2003 network with XP (SP2) clients that until sometime last week worked fine. While logged on as administrator to a client machine, i noticed that i couldn't browse the network through "my network places". I could open my network places, choose entire network, then microsoft windows network, select my domain name, but my domain wouldn't open. I would eventually receive this error...<Domain name> is not accessable, You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator (that would be...um...me) of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available. I was able to log off as administrator, log on with my username and password and get where i needed. Unfortunately that isn't working anymore. I can't browse no matter who i am logged on as. I can't even browse the network when i am logged on to the PDC. I can get places using the run command or through mapped drives, but not by browsing. when i run net view, it says that error 6118 has occured. the list of servers for this work group is not available. Has anyone had this problem before?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a full client/server setup? (domain structure with active directory?) or a peer to peer setup (workgroup?)
did you make any changes to active directory permissions?
do you know if wins is enabled on the server?
check the event logs on the dc and look for any odd errors

wendith

wendith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for responding. This is a domain structure with active directory. I have not made any changes to active directory and i am not seeing any errors in the error log that would pertain to this. Wins is enabled. I am not sure what else to check.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on a workstation do
start > run > cmd > netsh > interface > ip > show wins

see if you get a response of what wins server's the desktop is using...if you don't get a list of server ip's...then you may need to confirm your settings in dhcp...the machine's may not be recieving a wins server address....also...do you have multiple dc's? if so...how is wins set to replicate between them?

wendith

wendith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it shows that wins is configured through the DC. Right now that is the only DC I have.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...i was hoping it was a wins issue....had a similar issue here at work and it was due to wins replication and a messed up dhcp scope....let me do a little research and i'll get back

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
second theory...netbios over tcp/ip
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=318030 those are the steps for making sure it's enabled...in a workgroup..but it's the same for domain...i'll check my dhcp scope and make sure of the settings there..

wendith

wendith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I looked into the browser service first, it was already started. When i went into the Netbios/ wins setting, it was set on the default setting. I changed it to Enable netbios over TCP/IP and went back and restarted the browser service. Still no luck though. It shows the network, just wont let me get past that.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on your dhcp server...make sure that under scope options you have a setting for netbios over tcp/ip and that it's pointing to the pdc...you may need to renew the lease on the desktop for these settings to take effect..