Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Problems

• Please log in to reply

John ox

John ox

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HI, I'm totally useless with computers and am going round the bend trying to resolve a printing problem.

I've got a DELL A940 all in one printer and the ink was running low. Instead of buying new cartridges, I took them to a shop and got them refilled.

When I've re-installed these, no matter what I try in the very unhelpfull DELL manual, nothing works. It keeps ignoring the fact that the cartridges are now full and the printer says I've got an error (C50). I'v etried logging onto the DELL hel site without any luck

Can anyone offer any help.

Thanks
John.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Welcome to GTG John :tazz:

can we get some more information about this error that you are having? have you tried unistalling the printer and then re-installing it? also check to see if the printer cartridges are sitting properly inside the ink holders

if you reply back with this information someone will be along and be able to provide you with service you need to fix your printer ;)

John ox

John ox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I've tried to unistall the printer. It comes up with the message that the printer'scurrently in use and wait until the printing's finished before uninistalling

Thanks
John

whitwersen

whitwersen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. We are having a similar problem. Our A940 ran out of ink. Surprised and mad that we HAD to purchase our cartridge from Dell, we too refilled our existing cartridge.

It will print in color but not black and white. We uninstalled and so forth. But we never got an error message. We still can't print in B&W. Although it will print in B&W when we print a test page.

I believe that until we install DELL's cartridge, we won't be able to print.

What else have you found out?

Katie

RebeccaNY

RebeccaNY

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have this same product, and had this problem. However, after uninstalling and reinstalling AND moving the item to a different location, it works now fine. I wouldn't buy this product again.

-Rebecca
[email protected]

whitwersen

whitwersen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Solved the problem. We tried soaking the cart, reinstalling the printer, shopping for Lexmark cartridge to modify, new USB cable, bla bla bla. Happy (so happy) to report our Dell 940 printer is in a pile of stuff waiting for garage sale in two weeks. Bought a HP 1315 which is cheap and easy to refill with ink, print sharp, is small. No fax but we already had a separate one. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

John ox

John ox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, Back again!

I've tried uninstall and install again but to no avail still the same old prinetr error message aaaarrrgggghhhh!

Can anyone offer any other suggestions apart from fixing it with a sledgehammer!

RebeccaNY

RebeccaNY

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[COLOR=blue][B]

Hi John: I have totally been where you have been with this printer; believe me, I would NOT buy this unit again. However, for the sake of not utilizing a sledgehammer, I will say that what I did to fix the problem was as follows:

1) shut down your entire system, including your pc. 2) pull out all of the cords and move your printer to another connection with NONE of the cords will be bent or anything 3) turn on your PC only, go to control panel, printers and remove the printer, along with the software from the remove programs options. 4) restart your PC 5) reinstall the software FIRST BEFORE plugging in the usb cord 6) SAY A PRAYER!! ;)

I hope this helps! :tazz:
Rebecca

Hi, Back again!

I've tried uninstall and install again but to no avail still the same old prinetr error message aaaarrrgggghhhh!

Can anyone offer any other suggestions apart from fixing it with a sledgehammer!

View Post

whitwersen

whitwersen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
We tried everything with our DELL all in one pain the#%^@ printer.

We were burning up days and weeks without printing capability we decided to bag the whole machine. Sold it in our garage sale this weekend for a whopping $15. Which was greatly overpriced.

We are estatic with our HP 1350. It's a work horse and we have so many cheap options for refilling the ink etc.

Sorry to say but, ditch the thing and start over with a real printer.

htyper96

htyper96

• Pip
  • 3 posts

HI, I'm totally useless with computers and am going round the bend trying to resolve a printing problem.

I've got a DELL A940 all in one printer and the ink was running low. Instead of buying new cartridges, I took them to a shop and got them refilled.

When I've re-installed these, no matter what I try in the very unhelpfull DELL manual, nothing works. It keeps ignoring the fact that the cartridges are now full and the printer says I've got an error (C50). I'v etried logging onto the DELL hel site without any luck

Can anyone offer any help.

Thanks
John.

View Post

Ok here is my credibility. I manage a refill shop. What you have is an electronically dead cartridge. Lexmark (dell is made by lexmark) Makes there cartridges to fail after one use. If the cartridge is run dry it burns out the printhead. The refiller U used might not have any knowledge on this kind of product. Hot water damages the electronics along with lots of norm cartridge refilling stuff. Here is the best thing for your info. Dont run it dry. You dont have to buy dell at dell. Buy the lexmark equivilent and change the tops. dell a940= lexmark 82/83. Dell a920= lex 16/26

htyper96

htyper96

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok here is my credibility. I manage a refill shop. What you have is an electronically dead cartridge. Lexmark (dell is made by lexmark) Makes there cartridges to fail after one use. If the cartridge is run dry it burns out the printhead. The refiller U used might not have any knowledge on this kind of product. Hot water damages the electronics along with lots of norm cartridge refilling stuff. Here is the best thing for your info. Dont run it dry. You dont have to buy dell at dell. Buy the lexmark equivilent and change the tops. dell a940= lexmark 82/83. Dell a920= lex 16/26

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the lexmark number for a Dell 720, don't laugh, they are offloading them for 10 GBP at the moment.

htyper96

htyper96

• Pip
  • 3 posts
no the 720 is a little different. They seem to have done something to it to make it not interchangable. The best thing on that one is to buy a home refill kit and dont run it dry. You can just put more ink in and it should be fine. The only problem is it will say you are printing from your reserve tank all the time. I am sure there is a solution but I havn't figured it our yet (yet). Give me a couple days, we just bought both of these printers. Here is a good piece of advise. Dont buy dell or lexmark the are both cheap crap. Go with an hp. Their new cartridge (#96) has 19 ml of ink. Thats a lot these days.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for the tip on not letting them run dry