Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trojan-spy.html.smitfraud.c [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jmd9

jmd9

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My desktop is blue and has the following message:

"A fatal error has occured at 0028:c011e36 in VXD VMM(01) + 00010e36

Caused by Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c

*System can not function in normal mode. Please check your pc settings

*Scan your PC with any available antivirus/spyware remover program to fix the problem."

I know you have seen this before. What is the best course of action to remove the problem and restore my desktop?

Thanks so much,

jmd9

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Please read the topic in the link below (Read here before posting your HijackThis log). Post the HijackThis log here.

Now to fix the background problem, do this:

Right click on http://www.greyknigh...pairDesktop.reg and download that file. Double click on it and click on Yes when it asks you if you want to merge it into the registry. Once that's done, restart your computer.

Login as usual and now right click on your Desktop and go to Properties. Next go to Desktop tab->Customize Desktop button->Web tab. Uncheck everything listed there. Then delete all the entries listed except for 'My Current Home Page'. Click OK and OK.

jmd9

jmd9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you,

I did exactly as you recommended. I did not find the "web tab" when I clicked on desktop tab->customize desktop button ->web tab. At customize desktop button there was only "general tab" and your next suggestion to "uncheck everything listed there and then delete all entries listed except for 'my current home page'" did not apply. When I rebooted and tried to get back on the internet I could not access any website. My AOL and MS internet explorer have no effect. And I cannot browse from my desktop to change the image on the desktop. Any suggestions? I'm using a different computer now.

thank you

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Did you run the .reg file? You have to save that file to your computer first and then run it.

Download WinsockFix and unzip it. Then double-click on it to run it.

See if that will repair the internet. Post a HijackThis log when ready.

jmd9

jmd9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you,

I ran the .reg file and re-booted. That was when I lost ability to access any URLs. I then downloaded the winsockfix on my other computer and loaded it on the problem computer and ran that. Still same problem - can not surf web and access any web site. What to do now? Should I download and try ad-aware SE?

Thanks so much,

jmd0

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Yes, get Ad-aware and Spybot. Get the updated definition files manually in their sites since you can't go online with this computer. I highly suggest that you also get HijackThis. After you are finished scanning with Ad-aware and Spybot, restart. Then run a HijackThis scan and post the log here.

I'm not sure why you are double posting - I have to edit many user topics each day because all these users are double posting. I don't like doing that. So please try to keep it all in one topic.

You didn't follow the proper instructions - which was to run all the spyware removal programs first and then provide a HijackThis log.

jmd9

jmd9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you,

Have run ad-aware. Will run spybot and follow the rest of the protocal. I had seen other responses to this particular issue and thought that there might be a specific remedy. Sorry.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.