Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

uninstall windows 95

• Please log in to reply

montitchou

montitchou

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just got an old laptop that has windows 95 installed and I want to uninstall it but it tells me to insert the cd when I try to uninstall. I do not have it. :whistling:. Is there any way to do it without the cd?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi montitchou, looks like you found it! Can I just ask what your end goal is? Do you just want to end up with a completely blank hard drive to start afresh? What do you want the laptop to do?

montitchou

montitchou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I want to install windows xp on it. I have the cd for that of course.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hope your old laptop will at least meet the minimum Windows XP requirements.

Hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 1

System Requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2

Might want to make a Win 95 boot disk first which has some DOS commands and info on how to format drive:

Make A DOS Bootdisk

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 26 August 2007 - 08:46 PM.

montitchou

montitchou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey thanks for the replies so far. I haven't looked into your suggestions yet, but I'm about to. I want to mention that, I'm not sure, but I don't think the computer is going to be able to be upgraded very much. Still, I'm no expert. I don't know very much about computers, but I am trying to learn. So I bought some old computers (almost free) off some people so I could gut them, or reconfigure or just mess with them to learn about them. I have a good computer I don't want to mess with too much because I'll probably kill it. So I want to take Windows 95 off this laptop cause Ive never uninstalled an operating system and now I have encountered a problem that none of my friends know how to fix. That is why I'm here. So Its not so critical FYI. So just any advice would be appreciated. Help an aspiring computer geek. Thank You!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just follow the links and suggestions made already then post back if you run into problems.

Ron