Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using my wireless laptop to connect my xbox.

• Please log in to reply

sybaris

sybaris

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

is it possible to connect my xbox to my laptop with a crossover cable then use ICS on the laptop wireless connection so that the xbox can use the internet too?

it would look a bit like this.

x--l--[wireless connection]---router---internet

x=xbox

l=laptop

i have tried but it will not work :tazz:

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
That's probably because by turning on ICS on the laptop, you are actually putting your XBOX two routers deep into a network, which means that you probably dont have the NAT set up correctly, and the other router doesnt know you're XBOX is there.

Greazy Mcgeezy

sybaris

sybaris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Err righty ho :tazz: you've lost me a tad there lol what would i have to do to make it work, it all sounds so easy when you read the stuff that comes up...

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Also, since the network is switching everytime you go through a router, you may want to first make sure that the IP addresses on each of the interfaces on the laptop are different schemes. There is a little bit of configuration to go through to get this to work, but if you already have a laptop, connecting to the router via wireless and it's working over the network and internet, then you are most of the way there. First we will start out by seeing what IP addresses your laptop is using on it's incoming and outgoing interfaces. Please run the ipconfig /all command and get a copy of that on here. Just make sure you don't post your public IP address if you dont' want the wrong people having it. Anything that starts as 192.168. will be ok.

Greazy Mcgeezy

sybaris

sybaris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, here goes.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : family
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless 54Mbps Notebook Adap
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-BD-F5-07-9D
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 June 2005 15:43:44
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-B1-79-B7

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

do you want me to connect the xbox to the other bit and try it to see what it says then.

By the way thanks very much for helping me if we get this working i'll be donating to your paypal button :tazz: i thought i would never get it to work.

BigDave10

BigDave10

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
I'm just a kid, but I had the same problem, what I had to do was(this means that your laptop will have to be plugged in to you Xbox every time you play online) use an ethernet cable to connect your laptop to the xbox, go onto the connections part of the control panel, and with the wireless network ,and the symbol that is the ethernet clip, make a network bridge.(right click and click on network bridge). wait for it to configure. and there you go!
Systematically your NAT might change to strict, there is an easy solution. ON the network settings on your xbox, change the settings to manual, then last two digits of your IP address to a number between 9 and 255. this will disconnect you, and not work, change the setting back to automatic, and it will greet you with open nat.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Also, when doing this after the Xbox is powered on it may take a few minutes for it to obtain an IP address. This happens when I take the xbox over to my parents house and I use their computer with a wireless connection to interface with the internet. Same as what you are trying to do.

But for it to work, you must have the computer acting as the "router" on and have ICS enabled. After that connect the xbox to the laptop and power the 360 on. Make sure the settings in network are all automatic. If it pops up as 169.x it has taken an AUTO-Private IP address, just switch to manual and leave it at 0.0.0.0 then switch it back to auto. IT should pick up the 192.168.x.x ip automatically. after that you are done and it should now connect to the xbox live network.

alterseekers

alterseekers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If you're using wireless connection for your laptop, you can just use Netgear's Xbox 360 Internet Connection Kit to get your Xbox 360 connected to the internet wirelessly as well. This device acts as an adapter that connects to your wireless router, so you can get your Xbox 360 connected to the internet even if it's far from your wireless router. If you want to check out other info about the Netgear Xbox 360 Internet Connection Kit, just visit this link: http://bit.ly/bByST7.

mrfatty1000

mrfatty1000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to connect my X-Box to the laptop via ethernet cable, laptop is wireless.
I don't want to sound thick, but I'm not that good with computers, and can't understand half of the above.

Could anybody please help me?