Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista too slow! fix?

• Please log in to reply

bozz022187

bozz022187

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have a dell XPS m1330? notebook with vista...personally i hate vista because its just too slow...im a new member on here as well..so im not too sure if im doing this right...does anyone know of a fix for the vista OS?

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi bozz022187,

Do you have a security program that is stuck trying to scan machine or update it self?

I would download and use Autoruns and Process Explorer from Microsoft (free). This was original built by sysinternals before MS bought them.

http://www.microsoft...s/AutoRuns.mspx

Regards,

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Have you gotten SP1? Have you run a defragmentation applicaiton along with things like check disk? Have you disabled Indexing and Aero?

bozz022187

bozz022187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have noticed that i have MCafee or what ever that crappy anti virus software is...but i think i'm going to delete that and use the zone alarm i have on my desktop...along with some of the downloads i have found on this site...i just all around hate vista...call me old school but i like windows 98 :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

You're old school. :) I liked Windows 98 too, in its time.

Mcafee is a resource hog, and will definitely be contributing to your slow system. Uninstalling it is a good idea, and replace it with a nice, lightweight anti-virus. Avira is a good choice, link in my signature.

I knew Vista would be different, so I gave myself a week to get used to the differences. I felt pretty comfortable after two days, and on day three I decided I really like it. :)

Of course, everybody's different.

After you've uninstalled Mcafee and installed a new anti-virus, along with the other advice given in this thread so far, give us a small update on how your system is running.

Cheers

Troy

bozz022187

bozz022187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks guys...i'm going to get all this done...i'll keep ya posted man...and thanks for the link...

bozz022187

bozz022187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
well i downloaded autorunsc but i dont know what i'm looking at...i do but i dont want to take the chance...Avira is awesome btw... indexing and aero is off...AHHHHHHHH...sorry

ftornell

ftornell

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Got brand new Lenovo T61p with 3 GB RAM.

Im rippin' my hair of soon.

Windows ME was a bad OS but it was fast, rather fast and buggy than slow and slow! :)

bozz022187

bozz022187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i feel ya...i mean 98 was a great OS but like troy said...in its time...well in response to troy as well...i'm 21...and i got a computer when i was 19 and thas when i switched from 98...hahahaha

bozz022187

bozz022187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok so as of now i had just updated to SP1 and now i have no internet access...it will connect to my wireless network...but with limited access...the drivers are ok...CONFUZZLED!!!!!!!! help?

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Most issue related to Vista SP1 and missing internet is related to drivers needing to be updated to the latest version.

Cheers,
Mak

bozz022187

bozz022187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
but how can i update the drivers if i cant get on the internet...and when i did a driver serch within the computer it sed that they were the best drivers...AHHH i just want this thing to work!

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

You are currently using a PC to respond yes? Why not download the latest drivers on that PC and then transfer them to the Vista machine via a USB Thumb Drive or a CR-RW? Install them and got your internet back.

Cheers,
Mak

bozz022187

bozz022187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
haha...u know i use a thumb drive everyday and i havent even thought of that...lol...thanks for the reminder mak..

BoZz