Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to learn a Programing Language; Which one?

• Please log in to reply

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I wish to learn a programing language for systematical, (rather than entertaining) purposes.

What I don't want:
  • To make games
  • Extremely Complex Coding (ASM)
  • Extremely Inefficient Coding (VB)
What I do want:
  • Easy To Cross Platform (to some extent)
  • Widely Supported Languages (to some extent)
  • The program to be "Extract & Run" (i.e. no registry keys, basically coud be portable &c)
Can you help me out?

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You look like you know what you want. I would suggest either C/C++ or Java. These are cross-platform languages and are very portable. If security is big, I'd go with Java. Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Ax

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Ax,

I am kind of gnawing on this question as well.
I know my way around php (at least I like to think so) I can read javascript just enough to use other peoples scripts and I have just started experimenting with VB.NET
It looks easy enough and the .Net makes it widely usable.
Is that a good choice or would you recommend switching to one of the Visual (C#, J#, C++) languages?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey Metallica,

Personally, I use VB.NET but that's mostly because I'm used to coding ASP pages in VBScript. I find it less-than-complex to do code conversions between VB.NET and C#. The nice thing is that you can use both in your applications (at least web apps).

If you have a Java or C background, J# and C# will come easier, while VB.NET comes easier with a VB background (obviously!). If you have NOTA, the choice is up to you, but you'll find that most .NET applications and examples online are coded in either VB.NET or C#.

Here's a good rundown of the VB.NET/C# differences:
VB.NET and C# Comparison

MS also has a White Paper on the topic:
"Differences Between Visual Basic .NET and Visual C# .NET" white paper is available

So do your research and see which one will work out best for you and what you are trying to accomplish.

Regards,

Ax

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
i would highly recommend C#, it is the 'forgiving' version of C++ (ie it will not let you compile something that will crash your system)

i'm using C# at the moment and it is quite an easy and logical language! in fact i would strongly recommend using any of the 'C' family (.NET) as they seem to be becoming more widely available in microsofts attempt to beat java (also if you purchase visual studio professional you get J# - java compiler in there anyway!)

just have a play and see which works for you!

ry

p.s. i don't see how anyone can call VB a "programming language"!

Edited by Ryan_88, 28 November 2007 - 06:39 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

p.s. i don't see how anyone can call VB a "programming language"!

Almost certainly because you don't know what VB.NET (the "evolution of Microsoft's Visual Basic") is...

You may be thinking of VBScript, which is a scripting language based on the Visual Basic programming language.

Edited by stettybet0, 03 December 2007 - 02:30 PM.

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Any of the major imperative-style languages fit all your requirements. This is basically C and all its derivatives, C++ and Java being the most widely used. They are platform-independent, widely supported, and compile on any system with a compiler (though the machine code itself will not be portable).

However if you consider VB to be "inefficient", I don't know if this is really what you are looking for.

You might prefer a scripting language like Perl or Python or PHP. These tend to be simpler and cleaner to code, have large standard libraries, and are often designed for systems tasks. Code will be shorter and easier to read. They will still be platform-independent, widely supported, and portable. But obviously execution of a script requires the interpreter to be installed on the target machine, and tends to be around 10 times slower than native compiled code.

What do you intend to do with your language of choice?

coyne20

coyne20

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Based on your requirements.

Java would be ideal. However just so that you cover the main object oriented programming concepts its best to learn C++ first such that you find the migration to java alot more easier and seemlessly integratable.