Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows hot key pop-ups

• Please log in to reply

trinna

trinna

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
BIOS: Version 1.00
Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 1536MB RAM

Hello, Someone in family was using my computer the other day and when I got home I noticed when I press the 1 key the My Computer window pops up, when I press the q key it pulls up the calculator, and when I press the f3 key it pulls up the windows Search Companion. There are a few other keys that pull up other windows programs as well . I did a system restore but it did not help. Anyway I can fix this very enoying problem?

Also the "My Computer" icon on desktop was re-named to "Q"
I dont know if the person using my computer somehow set up some windows quick-keys by mistake or what.

The guys over on the malware board said my computer was clean and referred me to here.

Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi trinna.

Look in Add Remove programs to see if a program was installed that implement hotkeys. If you are able to identify it then uninstall it. If not, then find out who installed that program and slap him upside the head for doing that and get the program name from him. Make him set the My Computer shortcut name back to the original. Tell him that if he wants to modify a computer then get his own to mess up.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Umm... Sometimes simply un-installing the program won't remove the setting that the program created. Also, please note that XP offers the ability to create hotkeys within the Properties dialog for each shortcut. Notice the small box labeled: "Shortcut Key."

I strongly suggest that you password protect both your account and the over all ADMINISTRATOR account (that can be accessed from Safe Mode) to prevent unauthorized use of your computer. If it is absolutely necessary to allow others to use it, activate the "Guest" account, and leave it without a password. They will be able to make very few changes using that account.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
WOW. Looks like by the time I researched some of this and posted, you had replies already! Should have refreshed before clicking button.

Will leave mine here anyway:

Small stab here on this. Would you check in your Add/Remove programs to see if there was any new software install that could be used for remapping (reprogramming) a keyboard? It may be listed by date and happened to be installed around the time you started having your problem.

For hot keys, not sure if the Human Interface Device Access has an affect on the keyboard changes you are experiencing. Mine I have disabled. This can be checked using Admin Tools form Control Panel and going to Services. Long list, but it if listed, will tell you whether it is enabled or not.

Ron

P.S. Isn't this your post on same subject posted 27 Sept?

http://www.geekstogo...38#entry1058238

Edited by Major Payne, 02 October 2007 - 07:47 PM.

trinna

trinna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks for the response guys, it was a 17yo girl using my comp. when this happind. She claims to have no idea why this has happind :) I have made it where no one else will be getting on my rig in the future :wave:

Anyway, Major Payne the HID was already disabled on my machine. I do not see any uknown programs in add/remove besides somthing called "ageia physX v2.4.4" i'm not real sure what that is.

1101doc, could you explain this line for me again, im not sure how to get there to check this-

Also, please note that XP offers the ability to create hotkeys within the Properties dialog for each shortcut. Notice the small box labeled: "Shortcut Key.

I have been dealing with this very annoying problem for about 3 months now and i'm about to give up in disgust.

Sorry about that Major Payne, I had posted this in malware forums and forgot I posted in windows help fourms already.

Edited by trinna, 02 October 2007 - 10:18 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Right click a shortcut. Choose Properties.

This dialog box has several tab, but usually opens by default to: Shortcut.

The Shortcut tab window offers 4 sub windows in the bottom section:

>Start in
>Shortcut Key
>Run
>Comment

Start in should not be changed. It is referring to the directory referenced by the window in the top section: Target.

Shortcut Key will allow you some lattitude to assign a key(or combination of keys) on the keyboard to activate this shortcut. Click the window where it says "None" and then press a key. The window will display the keyboard action to initiate the shortcut.

Run offers a drop-down choice of how the window called by the shortcut will open. (If you're lucky)

Comment is for you to write notes to youself.

This allows you to (somewhat) customize the keyboard to activate shortcuts.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Anyway, Major Payne the HID was already disabled on my machine. I do not see any uknown programs in add/remove besides somthing called "ageia physX v2.4.4" i'm not real sure what that is.

Just info on this for what ever it is worth. :)

AGEIA PhysX System Software Release Notes

Strange how so many keys got remapped unknowingly. Good luck.

Ron