Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply

tobyed

tobyed

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi.
Whenever I try and boot my computer I get the error message: "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it." - or something along those lines.
I've trawled through the internet looking for solutions. I initially tried just repairing the installation of the OS, as I have done numerous times in the past. This option actually wasn't available to me, my only option was for a complete format or to go into the recovery console.
I've tried various commands in the console but none have worked for me.
Here's the solution that I followed:

What is the boot.ini file and how do I repair it?

This is the file that is used that identifies the location of Windows. It is a hidden system file located in the root partition of the primary hard drive ©. It identifies which hard drive, which partition on the drive and the folder where Windows is installed.

The steps to repair a missing or corrupt boot.ini file are:

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
4. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
5. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file. At this point you may get a message telling you that the boot.ini file does not exist. The next step will correct this error.
6. Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it. This will scan your hard dives for installations of Windows XP, 2000 or NT and display the results. Follow the on-screen instructions to add your Windows installations to the boot.ini file. Those step will be:
1. Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
(1) C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
Type y and hit enter
2. Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.
3. Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note: The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.
7. Take out the CD ROM and type exit.

The rebuild command came up with an error message due to a corrupt file system.
Next I tried this:

What is the hal.dll file and how do I repair or replace it?

HAL is an acronym for hardware abstraction layer. The hal.dll file is a Windows NT file that is used by windows when communicating with your computer's hardware. It enables hardware from different vendors to allow them to accept a common set of Windows commands. If it is missing Windows will not function.

In situations where it has become damaged, either from virus activity or hardware failure, it may be necessary to replace it with an undamaged copy. Here are the steps necessary to replace the hal.dll file with an undamaged copy from the Windows CD:

1. As above, insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
4. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
5. At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.) If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.
6. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Doing this lead to the message - 'There is no CD or Floppy disk in the drive', when the recovery disk was.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with this problem it would be greatly appreciated. A complete format of my hard drive isn't something I want to resort to just yet.

Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you read and tried any of these fixes for the HAL problem?

http://www.kellys-ko...dll_missing.htm

This website has some interesting comments if you scrool down, but i don't know if they work.

http://www.dll-files...files.shtml?hal

See if either helps you.

SRX660

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Right. I tried the suggestion at the bottom of the page on 2nd link you gave me (basically creating a new windows instal on the same partition but under a different name). I'm not sure it worked correctly as I've basically ended up with 2 installs of XP on the same partition. I can't boot the original windows but I can boot up the new version and gain access to the old files under the original 'Windows' folder. What I then tried to do was look for the Hal.dll in the System32 folder. Even after showing hidden files I couldnt find it. So I tried downloading the dll and putting it in the folder and reboot the old version of XP. Now I get an error saying that 'ntoskrnl.exe' is missing. My knowledge as to what these files are doing is poor so I'm a bit worried about messing around too much. Can I just download this file and place it in the system32 folder too? If so, where can I get it from.
I realise that I can now gain access to my documents/music/photos etc, but what I don't want to lose are programs that I've installed.
Thanks for the help so far.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The ntosknrl issue is often caused when the boot.ini is missing or improperly configured. This issue often arises after a user has recently added or removed an operating system on the computer or added or removed hard disk drives in the computer.

Make sure the line pointing to the operating system and it's drive and partition is properly configured in the [boot loader] and [operating systems] section.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000492.htm

I would not have installed the OS a second time on the computer. It is only compounding the problem with the computer. Please backup anything you want to save from your computer to cd's. I am checking with additional help for your problem.

SRX660

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you could please paste a copy of your boot.ini file to this thread we could see if there is a problem there.

SRX660

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
How do I actually do that. I apologise, but I'm gonna need a little more detail.

I tried this under the new installation (from link):

The boot.ini file is a hidden system file located in the root directory of your primary hard disk drive. To edit this file we recommend you follow the below steps.

From Windows, open an MS-DOS prompt by clicking "Start" and then "Run" and typing "cmd" in the text box. If you are not able to get into a MS-DOS prompt to edit the boot.ini file, boot into the recovery console to edit the file. Additional information about the recovery console can be found on document CH000627.
At the MS-DOS prompt, type:

c: <press enter>
cd\ <press enter>
attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini <press enter>
edit boot.ini <press enter>

My computer did not recognise the 'edit' function.

:whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tobyed...

Are you running on XP?

Open Control Panel and double-click the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. Copy the contents of the notepad window (boot.ini) and paste it here for us.

wannabe1

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...just to make sure I'm on the same page.

You have a parrallel installation of XP Home on the same partition. The original installation is generating the hal.dll error, but contains your programs and data.

How about we see if we can repair the original installation and remove the second once we've got it working again. I'm afraid, as SRX660 mentioned, that the second installation will end up causing issues on down the road.

Do you still have access to your friends installation cd?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you still have access to your friends windows XP CD please use it to do a REPAIR INSTALL on the original operating system. Heres a tutorial on a repair install.Please remember to use your Product Key instead of your friends. I personally use AIDA32 to find the product key to computers i buy with windows already installed.
http://www.majorgeek...ownload181.html

Heres Michael Stevens take on a repair install.

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Once you have repaired the original installation of XP you will delete the "C:/Windows2" off the computer. Windows should tell you if the repair install was successful.

Then open the boot.ini file and change it.

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2 <--change WINDOWS2 to WINDOWS

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect <--delete this line completely.

Save the modified boot.ini file

SRX660

Advertisements

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I can't do a repair install. That's originally what I tried, but the option wasnt ad still isn't available.
I've followed through the advice on the linked page but my computer doesnt want to recognise the install anymore when trying to get to the recovery console. I know the files are still on the system however.
I'm wondering what I need in the SYSTEM32 folder, and if accessing it/changing its contents from the 2nd OS could be of use?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you get to your data files on the original installation from the parallel install?

If Recovery console can't see the installation, then the registry is so corrupt as to no longer be recognized as an operating system. This makes it virtually impossible to do anything with.

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yeah that's what I thought.

I can get to the data files yes. Everything's there. What I really need are my programs. Is there any way I can move them across? The reason being I dont have the disks to reinstall them.

Cheers.

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello? Anyone to answer that one?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It is almost impossible to move installed programs from one part of a drive to another. Windows sets pointers to look for certain files to start the programs. When you move the programs windows can no longer find the files to open it with. That is why i carefully will save downloaded program and their reg files to backup cd's. I also make sure to take good care of programs bought that the cd's don't get lost. I have a 100 CD carousel that i store any important cd's and dvd's in.

SRX660