Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C-Media AC97 Audio Device - This device cannot start (Code 10)

• Please log in to reply

daveharler

daveharler

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am having problems getting my speakers to work! I have tried putting the plug into three different sockets in the back of my PC and everytime I get C-Media AC97 Audio Device - This device cannot start (Code 10). I have used the troubleshooter to try to solve the problem but I get the same result! Please help! I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed.

Thanx

Dave. :whistling:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click [+] next to Computer, then Summary

Look on the right for Motherboard Name

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable audio drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model of your motherboard here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

daveharler

daveharler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I downloaded and installed Everest Home Edition as suggested and I cannot find correct driver on Gigabyte site!

The details you requested are as follows:

Motherboard ID: 09/25/2003-SiS-651-6A6IXG0NC-00
Motherboard Name: Gigabyte GA-SIMLH

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Edited by daveharler, 16 September 2007 - 07:06 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Starting from your Desktop, right-click My Computer, select Manage, click on Device Manager from the list on the left. I would like you to locate your Sound, Video and Game Controllers key and expand it if it isn't already. Is there a question mark or an exclamation mark on any items under this heading? If so, right-click it and select "Uninstall", reboot, and see if the "Found New Hardware Wizard" comes up after you login. If it does, just ignore it, don't cancel it or select anything else. Open your web browser and go to the following pages:

1) http://uk.giga-byte....?ProductID=1399
2) http://uk.giga-byte....?ProductID=2303

Is one of these your motherboard? It's the closest I could find. I have had problems with Windows Update incorrectly identifying components and recommending C-Media drivers when it was a Realtek version... So don't run Windows Update yet either...

Let me know how you go...

daveharler

daveharler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
S.U.C.C.E.S.S!!!!!! Thanks! I remembered the file was deleted when I zapped my computer and didn't realise that I had to redownload it! Doh! Sound is now working fine! Thanks again!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Great! Thanks for letting us know your issue is resolved. :)

e_morgan

e_morgan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I downloaded the everest thing and searched for the name of the Motherboard and it says "unknown". Now what do I do??? :)