Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Empty Recycle Bin--shows only one deleted item at a time

• Please log in to reply

iDOlog

iDOlog

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a 105GB hard drive on a Lenovo (Thinkpad) 3000 N100 running Vista with 2GB RAM. It runs well enough, but Explorer ("Computer" from the Start menu) shows that the drive is completely full. Vista obviously believes this because I get "disk full" error messages when I try to copy large items like PST files. The disk cannot really be full. I don't collect music or video, I don't download much, I run only standard stuff and really not much of it (Office, mostly), I pretty much know what I'm doing, and the computer is not yet a year old. So, I ran WinDirSat and it shows only about a third of the drive is used. I attach screen shots. I think the problem may be with the recycle bin. When I "open" it, it shows only one file at a time. When I "empty" it, that one file goes away, but when i refresh the view, a new file shows up. I "empty" that one, and another shows up. I can do this all night and I never seem to reach the end. Any ideas how to fix it? Any other ideas on what the problem might be? Many thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Explorer.jpg
  • WinDirSat.jpg

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Hi and Welcome to GeeksToGo!. Certainly an odd issue. While I'm tempted to have you run a few different tools, I think we need to make sure your not having an issue with malware. Some of my tools would remove signs of an infection and make it more difficult to diagnose malware issues. Hence, the reason for the following directions:

Rather than follow the complete cleaning guide, just download HiJackThis and post a log in the Malware Forum.

Once you get a clean bill of health there, I can recommend a few other things to do.

Regards,
Starjax

iDOlog

iDOlog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
done! and thanks a million!!