Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help missing or corrupt file hal.dll

• Please log in to reply

chelsea87

chelsea87

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello I hope someone can help me with this because I am lost. The other day I got this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

This is what I have done to try to fix the hard drive:

1. System restore, this didn't work because it won't let me restore back past the hal.dll. error, when I did try my back up hard drive crashed and it took me 45 minutes to fix it.

2. I tried to reset it to the default settings and that didn't work.

3. Using the recovery console I inserted the OS disk and tried running bootcfg /rebuild, using windows xp home edition as the load identifier, this was the closest I got to getting it to run, however it froze while trying to load windows. I also tried running expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ f:\windows\system32\hal.dll. I got an access denied message, there is no password set so I don’t know how to get past that.

4. I tried using the OS disks to repair it with no luck and when I tried to reinstall it I got a message that it couldn't be installed. The only other option I had in the recovery console was to delete the partition. I am somewhat of a novice so I didn't select that option because I am unsure of the results of that action.
5. Since I can access this drive through command prompt I tried chkdsk/r this didn't work so I tried this chkdsk F: /f /r

6. As a last resort, I was out of ideas, I turned off the computer unplugged everything and let the computer set for quite a while. Nothing.

This is all I know how to do aside from reformatting the drive completely and losing everything or sending the drive back to Seagate and losing everything. I am running on my backup drive but it is only 80GB and I only have 9% of my space left. My DVD RW went out a couple of months ago so I can’t back up my data on disks and I don’t have enough flash drives to touch the data I have. I don't really want to buy a new hard drive because I want to buy a new computer next year and want to use this one as a trade in. What am I doing wrong, please help? :)

Edited by chelsea87, 18 August 2009 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp
Using your OS disk, follow the directions on the site.

What boot options work? (Safe Mode, Command Prompt, etc.)

Edited by edge2022, 18 August 2009 - 07:33 PM.

chelsea87

chelsea87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I can access the hard drive from command prompt from the backup drive.

I have a quick question about the instructions on the site you posted. The 5th command is C:del boot.ini. will this command delete boot from the computer all together? I'm sorry I am a novice at this so I just want to be sure.

Another question, the disk drive I am trying to repair is in directory F: does that matter with the instructions? Thanks.

Edited by chelsea87, 18 August 2009 - 08:40 PM.

chelsea87

chelsea87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Should I mail off the hard drive to Seagate or should I keep trying? Please advice on the other questions too. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Another question, the disk drive I am trying to repair is in directory F: does that matter with the instructions? Thanks.

If the hard drive's drive letter is F:, then replace every C: with F: in the instructions.

The 5th command is C:del boot.ini

The boot.ini file is deleted, then the following commands are used to rebuild it and to write a new bootsector.

If you have a Windows CD, then try a repair installation: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

chelsea87

chelsea87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

If you have a Windows CD, then try a repair installation: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

This worked and I am currently using the hard drive. :) However it is running very sluggish, I am currently running a virus scan with AVG. I have a couple of problems besides the way it is running.

* I got an error message could load file C:\WINDOWS\system32\vesnwshi.dll, I tried to Google it and there is nothing at all on it on the internet. I have no idea what it could be.

* My desktop shortcuts don't work including Internet Explorer. Is there an easy fix?

* I got about 50 messages that this file couldn't be found while the computer was rebuilding the files, I tried to use the browse option but I could find them either. Will this hurt?

* I am so afraid to turn this off is there anyway to find out what happened to the hard drive so I can prevent this from happening again?

* Is there any programs I should be running to protect my computer, in case this is due to a virus? I have AVG Anti-Virus and Adware now.

Thank you so much for your help, I have been trying to fix this thing since Saturday. :)

Edited by chelsea87, 19 August 2009 - 08:48 PM.

chelsea87

chelsea87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I almost forgot, there is a file on my desktop that wasn't there before it is called commonpriv.log.lock it is a Lock file and the application is unknown. What is it and what should I do with it? :)

Thanks again.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You might be infected...
Go here: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Follow the guide, and post the logs asked for in the Malware Forum. Link them to this thread too.
A tech will help you clean out your system, if problems persist, come back here.

chelsea87

chelsea87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Followed the link and created a new topic here.

Thanks for all of your help can't wait to have my computer back! :)

Edited by chelsea87, 21 August 2009 - 11:04 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
Can you please remove the logs.

Post your logs in a new topic here: http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html
Also post a link to this topic in the new one you create. Explain your problems, and a malware tech will help you out... if problems persist after you are clean of malware, then come back here for additional help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are infected and need to follow Edge's advice.
Please go to the Malware forum and start a topic there.
Post a link to this topic so that the tech who helps you can see everything that has been done here.