Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to remove Norton or Symantec software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

full Removal Tool Instructions here
warning
The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.

Save your Product Key, then download and run the Norton Removal Tool

You may need your Product Key when you reinstall your Norton product. Refer to full documentation for more info.

For Windows 2000 or Windows XP
Symantec Norton removal Tool

Older Versions
For those of you that have versions of NIS/AV that are 5.0/2000/2001/2002/2003 versions, then you will want to use the following files:

Rnav2003.exe with documentation HERE
RNIS.exe with documentation HERE

RNIS.exe works on the following products:
------------------------------------------------
Norton Internet Security 2000 1.0
Norton Personal Firewall 2000 2.0
Norton Internet Security 2000 2.0
Norton Internet Security Family Edition 2000 2.0
Norton Personal Firewall 2001 2.5
Norton Internet Security 2001 2.5
Norton Internet Security Family Edition 2001 2.5
Norton Personal Firewall 2001 3.0
Norton Internet Security 2001 3.0
Norton Internet Security Family Edition 2001 3.0
Norton Personal Firewall 2002 4.0
Norton Internet Security 2002 4.0
Norton Internet Security Professional 2002 4.5
Norton Personal Firewall 2003 6.0
Norton Internet Security 2003 6.0
Norton Internet Security Professional 2003 6.0

Edited by starjax, 04 September 2007 - 12:58 PM.

Advertisements

dutchqmomma

dutchqmomma

• Pip
  • 5 posts

The full instructions are found here

Where are the full instructions kept? I too am very confused with Norton software. Do they want you to remove the current software before you install an upgrade or new version? I don't quite know but my husband and I just can't get it off of his mom's machine. She re-subscribed but still gets an error message and cannot download any virus updates because the computer code from the previous version did not change. Uninstall did not help, either.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

you have helped with problems in the past and I trust that you will come through with flying colors once again.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
sorry about that. Fixed the broken link.

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, I followed all those instructions and laptop still doesnt startup properly. For startup programs, they still all startup (although I unticked before I restarted). Then norton still has that error message that I described in my initial post.
Since it is a "windows cannot find..." type, isn't it possible to make windows NOT find that file when I start up??

Thanks!

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, did a norton scan (ironically) and it solved the error message...but now it seems like kaspersky doesn't have an icon on the system tray...is that normal?? does it mean it didn't startup properly

DoM

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you shouldn't be running more than one virus scanner, ever. choose norton or choose kaspersky. do to the way they work with memory resident scanners and system protections they end up fighting one another.

peacemaker

peacemaker

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi! I was wondering, are there any complete instructions for removing McAfee? My original query can be found here, but I would like some step by step instructions if possible.

http://www.geekstogo...fee-t75424.html

When I was using Windows 98, I attempted to remove McAfee via Add/Remove Programs, but that did not completely remove the program. I'm now running Windows XP, and since I prefer AVG, I want McAfee out of here, lol!

Thank you so much! And, I do apologize if this is considered a cross post.

Thanks again! :tazz:

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
I am confused as to why you would want to remove software that you paid to install on your computer in the first place. Can somoene explain this to me?

peacemaker

peacemaker

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I haven't paid for the McAfee upgrade, and it's annoying always getting those popup "reminders" that I need to upgrade. I do not plan to purchase McAfee, since I am very please with AVG. I apologize if I had confused you.

I wish Dell and other computer manufacturers would give us options as to what software we do want installed, and what we don't. Instead, we just buy what is pre-installed. My computer is half full of stuff that came "standard" and I have never used any of this "junk".

So, can anyone tell me how to properly uninstall McAfee completely?

Thanks!

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
The way to COMPLETELY REMOVE the annoying, and most times very frustrating SYMANTEC and NORTON products is to use SYMNRT - download link: http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4749

SymNRT should be used only if you have tried to uninstall the Norton program using Windows Add/Remove Programs and that did not work.

SymNRT will remove these--and only these--Norton programs:
· Norton AntiVirus 2004/2005
· Norton AntiVirus Professional 2004
· Norton AntiVirus 3, 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005
· Norton SystemWorks 2004/2004 Professional Edition
· Norton SystemWorks 2005/2005 Premier edition
· Norton Password Manager 2004
· Norton Internet Security 2004/2005
· Norton Internet Security 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005
· Norton Personal Firewall 2004/2005
· Norton AntiSpam 2004/2005
· Ghost 2003 or Ghost Version 9.0

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I am confused as to why you would want to remove software that you paid to install on your computer in the first place. Can somoene explain this to me?

Sure, I can explain it - I am called frequently to diagnose and fix problems with computers that have Symantec/Norton products. The people can't figure out why it doesn't work as advertised, or not at all. There are a plethora of AV and Internet security programs out there that are levels above Norton in support, compatibility, and general usefulness to the user. Plus, a great majority of my AV calls are from people that have Norton products that DID NOT STOP A VIRUS [or to be more precise, did not stop MANY virii] from infecting their system, or found a virus and could/would not clean/delete it.

Symantec/Norton products are sold with the marketing ploy that they are well known, so they must be good. That worked a few years ago when there were fewer AV and security products on the market, but now, IMO, in the next few years, Norton is going to be hard pressed to hold even a minority of the market, and that only through their brute force marketing w/major computer manufacturers.............. Their products are KNOWN to be in-compatible with other programs, and not just the similar AV and security products.

Consumers are forced into having the products on their computers when purchasing [Free 6mo/1yr deal anyone??], but with the newer, better products on the market now, I see Symantec dying off in about 10 - 15 years................ unless they change their business behaviour and start listening to what customers want :tazz: :)

peacemaker

peacemaker

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
So, are Symantec and McAfee the same thing? I still have no idea how to uninstall the pre-installed unwanted version of all of these McAfee applications. Are there any removal instructions for McAfee?

gldduv

gldduv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first post and I am jumping in because I have a computer with NAV 2003 with Internet Security that I want to remove. I run an office with 13 computers and someone set the password for parental controls and now we do not have the password and cannot remove the program from add/remove programs.

I agree that Norton Antivirus has compatiblity problems with other programs and I am having a major one on this machine due to an upgrade to one of our programs and I cannot tell Norton it is OK to communicate with my File Server due to the password for parental controls.

Is there anyway to remove this? I know that I can reformat my drive and start over, however, I would like to avoid that time consuming task if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Huh?

Huh?

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, I'm glad this is puzzling all of you as well!

Can anyone help me with this one...

Norton 2004 installed on my new (in April) computer. All the links stopped workind and I could only run it by 'searching' for it first. Now the whole programme has ceased to work and I have a Norton icon with a BIG RED CROSS through it.

"Never fear," thought I, "I'll just install my Norton 2005..." Usual problems of course, so I tried to remove the 2004 edition, but it's not listed at all in add/remove programs.

So I was very pro-active and investigated the Symantic website, and found the instructions to use SymNRT.exe . HOWEVER, the link to actually download SymNRT.exe just brings up an error page, and has done every time I've tried it for about 3 weeks.

Any ideas??? Or can anyone give me the Dixons 24hr software support helpline as I have cover with them but can't find the number!!

Thanks for any help :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy

Try This

Murray