Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Status' disk?

• Please log in to reply

magaggie

magaggie

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hello,

I was directed here from the Security: Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal. I received great help over there with a major infection, as seen in this thread:

http://www.geekstogo...rs-t268391.html

I had first started out by doing a repair in XP, so once we got everything cleaned up, I had to do an extensive Windows update. Once it rebooted, I got this box:

It says "status" at the top, and in the box, it says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the "status" disk and click OK. Then under that is "use source" with dropdown menu, and the only available option is "1."

I'm wondering what disk they're asking for and what to do next. Thank you!

Advertisements

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Also, forgot to mention:

After the reboot from updating, I also got this message:

Automatic updates:
Some updates could not be installed.
The following updates were not installed:
Microsoft.NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 Security Update for Windows
XP Tablet PC and Media Center (KB953295)

I still get the icon down in the system tray that there is an update to be installed, so I tried one more time and got the same message as above.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
The simplest way to solve this type of issue is to remove all versions of the .NET Framework from your system...
then re-install them in the following order:

1. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (this version of the .NET Framework will also install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and the .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 for you behind the scenes, so you don’t need to re-install 2.0 or 3.0 using separate steps)
2. .NET Framework 1.1
3. .NET Framework 1.1 SP1

After this, you should be able to go back to the Windows Update site, scan for updates again and install the latest updates for the .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 from there.

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I'm afraid this is a bit over my head. I think I may have found all of the versions I currently have by looking in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework, I'm not sure how to uninstall them or how to install the ones you listed after I've done that. Could you point me to some instructions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to add remove/programs in the control panel..find any NET\Framework and click on remove...
then go to windows update...let it do its search...uncheck everything except NET Framework 3.5 SP1...download and install it...reboot...go back to windows update again...uncheck everything except NET Framework 1.1...download and install it...reboot...
go to windows update again...uncheck everything except NET Framework 1.1.SP1...download and install it...reboot...go back to windows update again...and this time get all the updates it says you need download and install them

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Oh, sorry about that. I wasn't seeing them in the add/remove programs list at first.

When I try to uninstall any of them now, I get a message that another install is in progress and that I should finish that first. Of course, the installation fails when I try to do that. I turned off off the automatic updates and rebooted, and I still get the same message when I try to uninstall any of the .NET Framework versions.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility here...
only remove net framework things...
You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over...
after running the cleanup ...go back to the add/remove programs and uninstall them all (net framework)

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OK, I tried to run the clean-up utility, and got "Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one." I rebooted and tried again and got the same thing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try booting into safe mode and run it...
if that doesn't work...
lets try to Unregister and then reregister Windows Installer
This action corrects most situations.

1. Unregister Windows Installer... click Start.. click Run.. type msiexec /unregister
and then click OK...
2. Reregister Windows Installer... click Start....click Run type msiexec /regserver
and then click OK.

then go to the add/remove programs in the control panel and remove all the net framework

Edited by happyrock, 20 February 2010 - 06:16 PM.

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I get the message about another installation in progress both when I try to run that program in safe mode and when I try to unregister the windows installer.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
press ctrl+alt+delete keys at the same ...click on process's tab...get a screenshot for me...
be sure to drag the window open far enough to see everything

Edited by happyrock, 20 February 2010 - 08:27 PM.

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OK, I had to capture it in two shots, since it was so long, top half and bottom half:

Attached Thumbnails

• processes1.JPG
  • processes2.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...launch the task manager again...highlite MsiExec.exe
then at the bottom of the page click on end process...ignore the warning...say yes
then go to add/remove programs in the control panel and start uninstalling all the net framework
is this a laptop or desktop

Edited by happyrock, 21 February 2010 - 07:36 AM.

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OK, that doesn't work either, but the message is slightly different:

"The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not currently installed."

This is a laptop, btw.

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
BTW, since I did that, I ended up rebooting at one point, and since then I haven't had that status box popping up at start-up (the one I mentioned in my first post). So maybe that's a little bit of progress? :)