Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video/Computer..help me please =)

• Please log in to reply

Queenpkn

Queenpkn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok, so heres the deal. sorry im a chic so I have to tell you the story of how it started. So my b/f is in the Navy...I thought hey his b-day is coming up, why not video tape all his friends and family sending him happy b-day wishes..., put it on dvd/edit it..etc. and give it as a gift. Its now 3weeks after and im still trying to complete this. I have a sony model ccd-trv128. I was told this is not a digital camera, I have no idea cuz I dont know much about this stuff. So anyhoo, I was told to by a USB/SVIDEO connector, so i did. $100.00. Then the s-video connector on my camera and the cable they sent were both female. so i had to buy a double female..they said that was all i needed for it to work. it didnt work. So then i was told i needed a different part that had an audio connection because the one i bought had only a video connector. so i bought that. $50.00 ebay. so, ive been able to get video..but it keeps saying stuff about the audio. no audio capture...or no interface audio. something like that. which i was told had to do with the software. but i dont understand because they told me all i needed was this certain stuff....and nothing is working. is my camera too old? how much more do i need to spend on who knows what i need to get this completed? anything....would help...and if you could explain it to me in the most simplest terms....I would be oh so greatful.

Please anyone..help me. I want to get this done and mailed before christmas :tazz:

Edited by Queenpkn, 14 November 2005 - 12:18 AM.

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

I feel bad for you because you’re in a very tricky situation, So hopefully I can help you.

First read this link:

http://www.microsoft...dvideo.mspx#EEG

To answer your questions:

Yes your camera is not a digital camera, its an analog handycam.

Yes your camera is a bit old, these days newer handycams have a firewire IEEE 1394 connection, which is what is commonly (99%) used to transfer video and audio (problems free) to a computer.

I thought about it for a while and did some research on the camera, and to cut a long story short, you can’t get video and audio onto the computer in any easy way, there are many software and hardware problems to overcome first.

When you say you bought a USB/SVIDEO connector, what exactly is this? (Computer hardware? what’s its model name?)

You can get video but not audio.. I have always used S-Video for video signal only, I’m not sure its even possible to transfer audio and video on the one cable, the S-Video cables has 2 signals, and that’s taken up by the luminance and chrominance of the video, so audio cant possible work on it, unless you have some weird software I have never heard of, what you need to be doing is connecting the "White" and "Red" cables to the computer from the camera as well, because this is what the audio is transferred on. Hopefully you have inputs on the computer, if not that’s another $100.00.

If you can get the audio through the S-Video, perhaps your software settings are not correct. What software are you using to capture it? and what operating system is your computer (windows 98, ME, XP, mac?)

OPTIONS:

1. Find a local video editing person (phone book) try wedding videographers, freelance editors, freelance cameramen, small video production houses and ask them to make a DVD of it for you. It will cost, but at least you know it will work. If your live in Sydney, NSW, Australia i might be able to help you out.

2. Find/borrow a camera with a firewire output (that’s compatible with your tape) and put your tape in that camera then convert it to the computer.

3. For a cheaper option get someone to convert the tape as it is to a DV tape, then borrow a DV camera and capture to computer using that.

4. Ill leave it there, hopefully this helps, if not keep asking questions so I can figure it out.

Edited by st22, 15 November 2005 - 10:49 PM.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts

I just wanted to say thank you sooo sooo sooo much for helping me out with the video/editing. it works now. Your help is oh so very very much appreciated.

Your welcome.