Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whole whack of problems after reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply

Nates

Nates

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
My notebook was recently infected by a virus, but my system was too corrupted so I ended up reinstalling Windows XP (no reformat). For details, check out this thread.

After installing XP, I managed to install all the express updates and the drivers that came with the notebook. Things were going decently, but I'm having big problems with Outlook. I installed Outlook, and then I pasted in my old .PST file to the Outlook data directory. Outlook read it fine, but once I told it to send/receive, the receive process went INCREDIBLY slow. It basically redownloaded all the emails (maybe about 650 or so, I can't remember) that were already there (obviously, I set it to leave the messages on the server), but it took over three hours! Even with the fairly large number of emails, this does not seem right at all! Once that was finally done, I proceeded to manually delete all the duplicate emails (not fun).

To make matters worse, it refuses to send out emails. I'm like 99% sure that I have the same settings as before (before the virus, when everything worked normally), but when I test the settings or try to send out an email, I get the following message:

Task 'mail.mycompanysserver.com - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I tried to find a solution online, and I found some stuff about ports (didn't have to before, but I tried changing it anyway and no luck), and about conflicts with MSN. If it makes a difference, I had installed Messenger Live (had an older non-Live version before), so I wondered if this might be creating the problem, but closing Messenger didn't help. Microsoft support provided a solution that involved going into Control Panel, going into Mail, and creating a new Profile. I haven't tried this because I'm afraid this means I'll end up having to redo the whole Outlook .PST file thing, meaning another 3 hours of redownloading emails followed by manually deleting them.

So the next thing I tried was Microsoft Update. It worked earlier (I got SP2 on it, and various other updates), but now when I try it (both Express and Custom), I get the "Checking for updates for your computer" type message with that animated bar, but it never finishes. I've left it for over 30 minutes! Interestingly, while this is happening, I can't close IE (or even Outlook), and Windows won't let me open Task Manager, so I'm forced to do a hard shut down.

I can't really remember, but at one point (after the most recent successful Windows Update, but before Update got funky), I MAY have installed an ActiveX controller of some sort. Unfortunately, I really can't remember what it was for, and I'm not even sure if I did this on my notebook or on another computer.

Please help! I've been without my notebook for over a week now, and I'm going absolutely crazy! I'm way behind in my work! :whistling:

Edited by Nates, 09 May 2007 - 11:58 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
First Off did you delete partitions and Format and reinstall?

Second are you getting any error messages?

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
No, I left the partition as is (as to keep my other data). The only error message I'm getting is the one in Outlook regarding the SMTP server. No errors reported during Microsoft Update.

PLEASE tell don't tell me I have to reformat. :whistling: I just spent all last night and today getting it back up to this point.

Edited by Nates, 10 May 2007 - 12:30 AM.

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Some success! Well, sort of... I found an old email that mentioned that I need to use port 2525 and my mail finally sent! But sending/receiving still goes significantly slower than before. Any ideas?

I just sent a test file (1MB) to that email to see if I was just imagining things. It really is excruciatingly slow. It's downloading the file at a few BYTES per second. Mind you, I closed my antivirus programs (AVG), and I even tried disabling the firewall for Outlook.

Edited by Nates, 10 May 2007 - 12:51 AM.

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay, I'm about to go insane. I had a feeling that AVG was causing the email slowness. I thought I disabled email scanning, but I noticed that all my emails still came with an AVG certification attachment. I proceeded to close all AVG processes in Task Manager. I sent off another test file attachment, and this time it went a little faster. Still pretty slow, but it actually did KB per second. So here's where I start to go crazy...

I have regular AVG, AVG Anti-Spyware, and AVG Anti-Rootkit. I decided to uninstall them, starting with the regular one. That went fine, and I rebooted. I tried to remove AVG AS using add/remove programs, but it just froze up. From then on, everything started acting screwy. Even after a reboot, everything is really slow or things just stopped working! Like I'll try to open Firefox, and it'll open like 30 seconds later. Then I'd try to open another program, and it just won't open. But when I check in Task Manager, I see the process running! So I try to shutdown, but it won't! Again, I'm forced to do a hard shutdown!

Any you know what else? Now, my other (personal) computer is acting strange! I left my room for a while, and when I came back, it was mysteriously logging off of Windows and rebooting. I eventually shut it down, came back to turn it on like 20 minutes later, and it wouldn't power on!!! I unplugged it, replugged it, but nothing! But after hitting the power button several times, it finally turned on! What the heck is going on!?!!?

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay, I think what's causing Windows to be really slow is the fact that upon startup, svchost.exe is taking up about 100% of my CPU. After I ended the process, I was able to open programs again. I wonder if this is related to Windows Update?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
It is possible however generly you get a error message.
Do you get a error message try disableing auto updates and see if the problem accrues .

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'll be darned. I shut off Automatic Updates, and successfully performed a custom (I managed to do an express once since the problem started, but not a custom) Windows Update. Not only that, but my Outlook seems to be as fast as before! Any idea why this is happening? Is Automatic Updates a bad thing? So basically, I had to strip out all my security features to get things moving along properly? What anti-virus program would you recommend? Should I give AVG another chance (and what about their anti-spyware and anti-rootkit)? Any way to completely eliminate the email scanning (aside from speed issues, I sometimes organize my emails by those with attachments, and AVG's certification attachments screws this up)?

I'm note quite 100% there yet, but thank you so much! :whistling:

PS - Awesome dog. :blink:

Edited by Nates, 10 May 2007 - 05:30 PM.

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Everything is now going smoothly (knock on wood). I set Windows Update to just notify me when there are updates, and I reinstalled AVG minus the email scanner and the Office plugin. No more big fat svchost.exe, and my Outlook is just as fast as before. :blink:

Thank you so much! :whistling:

Now my other computer is acting up. Sigh...

EDIT: Another thing, and it might be a bit of a long shot. I can't seem to get the Bluetooth drivers to install. Device Manager says that the drivers are missing and when I try to install them from the drivers CD, it says the following:

A service installation section in this INF is invalid.

I then downloaded the Toshiba Bluetooth drivers from the Asus (I have an Asus Z70VA) website. I ran the installation and it failed because it said something about how there's another installation going on (there wasn't, as far as I could tell), and now the error message has changed to:

Windows Installer
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

So yeah, it wrecked my installer, which I then had to fix by running some command lines. I have since trashed the Toshiba Bluetooth drivers.

Any ideas how I can get my Bluetooth working again?

Edited by Nates, 10 May 2007 - 11:41 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
OK That souns like you are having a problem with SVChost and need a hotfix. For the computer that is having a problem in this thread.

Please go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891 and download the hotfix install and re-enable the updates again.