Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista run command prompt as administrator

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
User Account Control in Vista extends to the Command Prompt. If you get a "you do not have permission..." error, it's probably because you need administrator permissions to run the command. Here's how to run from the command prompt as administrator:

Click Start, in the Start Search box, type command. A list of of matches will appear above. Right-click Command Prompt in Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. You will likely be prompted for an administrator confirmation, or a password. Type your password or click Continue.

Posted Image

Advertisements

jonam

jonam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
What do I do when the the box pops up when I run Command Prompt as Administrator? Also can u tell me why I cannot uninstall programs, even when I am the only administrator user and I have turned off UAC? Please reply. Thank you.

luan4

luan4

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ive tried this method to find the command prompt many times, and it does not seem to be coming up in the search. i have followed each step carefully, and the command prompt does not come up in the search. any thoughts?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A simple solution if you want to run the command prompt as administrator in Vista is to open the Start Menu, type in "cmd" in the bar along the bottom, then instead of just pressing enter, press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER instead. It will then show up as "Administrator: Command Prompt" in the window title.

luan4

luan4

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i figured it out. i had the classic start menu. not the vista one. seriously, vista can die

xxcrisxx

xxcrisxx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
after adding in the command prompt messenger worked GREAT. Thank you all so so much!

ShaneTsukasa

ShaneTsukasa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My system has been giving me the message, "Windows Cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." everytime I try to download the Windows messenger update and installing my printer. I've tried to do the commends that you gave and its still giving me the same message when I do your commands. Are there anymore commend that I can try?

Skleet

Skleet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

My system has been giving me the message, "Windows Cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." everytime I try to download the Windows messenger update and installing my printer. I've tried to do the commends that you gave and its still giving me the same message when I do your commands. Are there anymore commend that I can try?

Shane I'm seeing this exact message on Windows 10. How did you fix this? Or if you're not still around does anyone else know?