Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Unbearably Slow

• Please log in to reply

sheppardzwc

sheppardzwc

• Pip
  • 7 posts
RAM: 3GB

Hey all,

When I recently started my computer this afternoon it booted fine until I reached my desktop, where the computer's processor light was fully bright and I could hear the drive cranking. I saw no processes being started (I only have 4 when the computer is booted) and a virus and malware scan in Safe Mode came up with a few things, but even after scanning and rebooting to normal mode, nothing was changed. The computer is unresponsive after a few minutes of being on the Desktop and I have to hard-shutdown. I ran HijackThis:

--

Edited by Rorschach112, 27 April 2010 - 05:48 PM.
removed log

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

sheppardzwc

sheppardzwc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

Thanks! Will do. Tried the first few steps but still to no avail - will continue onward.

Just posted in the Malware forum with my OTL results as the first 3 steps in the guide didn't help: http://www.geekstogo...ow-t275410.html

Edited by sheppardzwc, 27 April 2010 - 06:47 PM.

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,
Please follow the below mentioned steps:

1). Download Ccleaner from the below link:
http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/
2). Install it and run to remove all temporary files and cookies.
3). Disable all unnecessary programs from startup.
4). Goto Start select "Run".
5). Type "%temp%" without quotes and hit enter.
6). Select all the files and hold down Shift key, then press Delete.
7). Goto Start select "Run".
8). Type "temp" without quotes and hit enter.
9). Select all the files and hold down Shift key, then press Delete.
10).Goto Start select "Run".
11). Type "prefetch" without quotes and hit enter.
12). Select all the files and hold down Shift key, then press Delete.
13). Restart your computer.
13). Run Disk Cleanup and restart your computer.
14). Run Disk Defragmentation and restart your computer.

While restarting keep an eye on your computer startup, and check the speed.