Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
For the past week I have noticed that if I am on the computer for more than 30 minutes or so, my computer has an extremely slow shut down.

I have run CHKDSK, but this has not worked at all. It said that my "volume was clean". I've turned my Automatic Updates from Windows off and it's still does the same thing.

When I go to shut down, it takes about 3 minutes to get the option of chosing "Shut Down" from a drop menu to appear. Then, after chosing "Shut Down" my computer freezes for about 3 more minutes then the blue screen appears stating it's shutting down. Then it takes between 3-10 minutes to shut down completely. If I hit the power button on my computer it will shut down right after I hit it, but I wish it would let me shut down the way it is used to.

If I start up the computer and just shut it down right after starting it up, it shuts down fine. It's just when I'm on it for a while it takes forever to shut down.

EDIT:

I also went to eventvwr.msc in RUN and checked my system errors and the error keeps saying its The server {9BIF122C-2982-49E1-AA8B-E071D54F2A4D}did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. The error is listed for almost each time I shut down.

Edited by RoxieVelma, 20 July 2005 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

urichjones

urichjones

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello RoxieVelma,

I have the exact same problem. Exactly! :tazz: My post is here. I'm still working on the problem, but after reading your post I discovered that I couldn't use windows update. I went to there website where they asked me to download updates for the windows updater, but then I got an error when I tried to actually view updates for my computer. Do you have the same problem? I haven't tried to shutdown yet, but I'll let you know if it helps shutting down.

Urich

urichjones

urichjones

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
mbounce.gif WOO HOO!!mbounce.gif

RoxieVelma I solved my problem thanks to YOU! Thank you! You can read it here Go to post #8.

Edited by urichjones, 21 July 2005 - 04:21 AM.

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Awesome, I'm glad I could help someone (and not even know I was doing it). :help: ;) :tazz:

I tried the same thing last night when I tried to download updates from Windows and they wouldn't show up. So far, my shutdown has worked twice perfectly. I haven't had my computer on long each time so I'm going to try to leave it long for a few hours and try it to shut it down again. Hopefully, it'll work as well as it does now.

I also downloaded something called Windows User Profile Hive Cleanup Service because I had some problem with a user profile earlier on and it was still giving me problems. So, I don't know which one worked for me but maybe both of these solutions will help others.

;)

Edited by RoxieVelma, 21 July 2005 - 11:59 AM.