Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 Networking Tutorial

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go,

This is a tutorial to help setup your Home Computer and Xbox 360 for sharing media (Music, Video, and Pictures). Please follow the links in order to avoid any confusion or missed steps, that could prevent this process from not working.

1. System requirements and required downloads
2. Physical connectivity setup
3. PC Software installation and configuration
4. XBOX 360 setup and configuration

Edited by admin, 11 April 2006 - 07:45 AM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AND REQUIRED DOWNLOADS

1. You will need the following System Requirements on your home pc:

Operating system Requirement:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2.

Web browser Requirement:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later or Netscape Navigator 4.7 or later

Processor Requirement:
233 megahertz (MHz) processor, such as an Intel Pentium II
1 gigahertz (GHz) processor such as an AMD

RAM Requirement:
Minimum 64 MB to preferred 128 MB

Free hard disk space:
Minimum 80 MB to preferred 300 MB

Network Interface Card Requirement:
Ethernet (802.3) or WiFi (802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g) network adapter

Windows Components:

Net Framework 1.1
Net Framework SP1

2. You will need the Windows Media Connect Software from Microsoft for one of the three following Operating Systems:

Windows XP Home SP2 and XP Pro SP2
Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2

3. To download the needed software go to the Xbox 360 Media Download Center.

4. If using a Non Microsoft firewall you will need to open the following Ports:

TCP - 2869, 10243
UDP - 1900, 10280, 10281, 10282, 10283, 10284

5. And lastly verify the files to be shared are in the following formats and if not obtain the necessary converting utilities.

Audio
(.wma) Windows Media Audio
(.asf) Advanced Systems Format
(.mp3) MP3
(.wav) WAV

Video
(.wmv) Windows Media Video
(.dvr-ms) Microsoft Recorded TV Show
(.avi) Audio Video Interleaved
(.mpeg, .mpg) MPEG-1
(.mp2, .mpeg, .mpg) MPEG-2

Picture
(.bmp) Bitmap
(.gif) Graphics Interchange Format
(.jpeg, .jpg) Joint Photographic Experts Group
(.png) Portable Network Graphics
(.tif, .tiff) Tagged Image File Forma
t

Playlists
(.wpl) Windows Media Playlist
(.m3u) MP3 Playlist

IF THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ARE MET, THE CORRECT SOFTWARE HAS BEEN DOWNLOADED, AND YOUR FILES ARE IN THE PROPER FORMATS MOVE ON TO THE PHYSICAL CONNECTIVITY SETUP FOR CONNECTING YOUR PC TO THE XBOX 360 FOR SHARING MEDIA.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 20 February 2006 - 12:50 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
PHYSICAL CONNECTIVITY SETUP

1. Verify that your XBOX 360 and PC are physically connected in one of the following ways:

Router
Router_wired.JPG
Hub
Hub_wired.JPG
Switch
Switch_Wired.JPG
Crossover
Crossover.JPG
Wireless
Router_Wireless.JPG

2. You do not have to have an internet connection for any of these configurations and if you do not just eliminate the Modem and the first Cat5 line.

3. After getting the Physical setup completed verify that your PC and 360 can both access the internet (if you have this option).

WHEN YOUR PHYSICAL SETUP IS CORRECT MOVE ON TO THE PC SOFTWARE INSTALLATION AND CONFIGURATION

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 20 February 2006 - 12:50 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
PC SOFTWARE INSTALLATION AND CONFIGURATION

Software installation and setup

1. Locate the downloaded Windows Media Connect software titled XboxXPSP2-ENU, XboxMCEFULL-ENU, or XboxMCELite-ENU depending on what Operating System you are using.
2. Launch the Software by double left clicking on it, or Right click on it and select Open.
3. Once the Software is installed, Restart the Computer.
4. When the PC restarts you will now see an icon in the lower right taskbar and also in your Quick Launch, as shown below:

WMCicons.JPG

5. Open the Program by left clicking once on the icon, in the quick launch and you will see this screen:

Main_WMC.JPG

6. Verify that the “Xbox 360” is shown in the Devices category and that it says “Allowed” underneath it, as shown above. If not, then please post a request for help in the “BLAIR WHERE IS THIS GOING TO BE POSTED AT”
7. Click the Sharing Folder next, as seen below:

Main_WMC_Sharing.JPG

If you save all of your Media files in their default folders as XP directs you to, then continue to step 8A. If you do not, like most people, then move to step 8B now.
8A. Verify that Shared Pictures, My Pictures, My Music, Shared Music, and Shared Video all say “XBOX 360” in the “Shared With” column and “Anyone is Logged on” in the “Shared When” column. The “Location” column is very important for step 9.
8B. You can either Move all your media files to their default folders (can be time consuming if you have a lot like me – so I wouldn’t recommend it) or you can just delete the Default folders from Media Connect and add your own locations: Remove the default folders (from media connect – Not your PC) by selecting them then clicking the “Remove” Button, Add new folders by clicking on the ADD button to access the Add Sharing Information Screen as seen below:

Main_WMC_Sharing_ADD.JPG

8C. Click the Browse button to locate where your media is stored. The Name field will be automatically filled in when you find the location of your folder and add it. Next click the bubble for “Make this content available only to the selected devices below” and then put a check in the Xbox 360 [Allowed] box. Click the OK button.
8D. Verify that Your newly Created folder says “XBOX 360” in the “Shared With” column and “Anyone is Logged on” in the “Shared When” column. The “Location” column is very important for step 9.
9. To access to your shared media, for moving files around and removing files, I have found it very useful to create shortcuts for the containing folders and place them in my quick launch (or on your Desktop). Move on to step 9A if your interested in how to do this (not required for sharing with the XBOX 360).
9A. Right click anywhere on your desktop (not on another file or program) and select
“NEW” then select “SHORTCUT” to open the following screen:

Shortcut.JPG

9B. Click the browse button and navigate to the “Location” of your newly added
Media connect file or the default file already located on your computer, as
detailed in step 8A and 8C. Click the “Next” button to get to the following screen:

Shortcut2.JPG

9C. Type whatever name you like here as it will only be the name of the shortcut and not the actual file or location. Click “Finish”. Now you have a shortcut to get to all your shared media for the 360 without having to click on Start and navigate your way through all the menu’s.
10. Back to the Media Connect Software we need to click on the Settings option to complete some final adjustments as seen below:

Settings.JPG

In the “Folder Sharing” Option we can Start or Stop the Service depending on what state it is currently in (by pressing the Start or Stop Button) and also specify whether we want it to automatically startup when the computer boots (by checking or un-checking the corresponding Box.
12. In the “Firewall” option we can reset the WINDOWS Firewall to the factory default – which removes the necessary opened ports for Media Connect, (by pressing the Reset Button).
13. In the “Device Authorization” option we can allow all new devices connected to our network to access the media on your PC by leaving the box checked (not recommended), or uncheck the box so you have to manually allow any devices to be authorized (recommended).
14. Click the close button and we are now ready to go to the XBOX 360 to stream our media. Leaving the PC turned on with Media connect up and running in the taskbar
15. Before moving on please verify that your THIRD PARTY FIREWALL has the following ports opened to the Media Connect Software: TCP - 2869, 10243 / / / UDP - 1900, 10280, 10281, 10282, 10283, 10284
16. Anytime you want to stream media from your computer to your 360, your PC must be turned on and Media Connect up and running.

PLEASE MOVE ON TO THE "XBOX 360 SETUP AND CONFIGURATION" FOR USING THE 360 TO ACCES YOUR PC BASED MEDIA.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 20 February 2006 - 12:51 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
XBOX 360 SETUP AND CONFIGURATION

1. Go to the 360 and press the power button, to turn the unit on (Remove any Games or CD from the tray), to get to the opening screen:

Main_Screen_1.jpg

2. Using either the Media Remote or the Left Joystick on the controller move to the right and select the MEDIA tab as seen below:

Media_Music_Screen.jpg

3. Using either the Media Remote or the Left Joystick on the controller, move down to select Music as seen above:
4. *DO NOT GO TO THE “SYSTEM TAB” TO SEARCH FOR YOUR COMPUTER AS IT WILL NOT LOCATE IT – I SPENT HALF A DAY REMOVING FIREWALLS, ROUTERS, AND SECURITY PROGRAMS***
5. Navigate down to COMPUTER and select it as seen below:

PC_Connect.jpg

6. You will now get a warning screen asking if you have already downloaded and installed Media Connect. If you have followed this guide correctly then you have already done this, along with installing the Net framework and opening the correct Firewall ports, thus making this step much easier:

PC_Connect_2.jpg

7. The 360 will search for a few seconds then find your computer as seen below:

PC_Connect_3.jpg

8. Just select your PC and you should now see a list of all your medias files sorted by Albums, Artists, Saved Playlists (from Windows Media Player), Songs, and Genres. Select whichever category you wish to navigate through as seen below:

PC_Connect_5.jpg

9. Then select the song or Saved Play list to play as seen below:

Playlist_1.jpg

10. And you are now Playing your Media Files.

Playing.jpg

11. Now Just insert your Favorite XBOX 360 game and start playing. If you decide you want to listen to you music instead of the games background music just press the silver XBOX button and scroll down to select music, then pick out the songs you want to listen to.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, OR IF ANY OF THESE STEPS DO NOT WORK AND YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SHARE MEDIA PLEASE POST A REQUEST FOR HELP IN THE CONSOLE GAMES FORUM

Edited by dsenette, 15 December 2006 - 01:29 PM.

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thats mad that you can network a xbox now.

HOLY CRAP that is awesome. Im gonna buy an xbox 360

reDDevil

reDDevil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Is it possible to connect Xbox to PC in a such scheme?
I have a wireless ADSL modem/router D-Link DSL-G604T. PC connected to a network wirelessly,
Xbox connected to a router with a cable.
I was trying to connect my XBOX to a PC but without success :whistling: Installed all necessary software, made some settings on Xbox but when I run a Media Connection test I get "failed" result with "Computer" part of test. Windows Media Connect doesn't see any device. Meanwhile the Live Connection Test is passed perfect on Xbox. What is the problem? Is it necessary to check if all mentioned ports are opened on router or that ports are need only for streaming?

Staticthreat360

Staticthreat360

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I have an issue here. I have been trying to get my Xbox 360 to talk to my XP sp2 computer for 2 days now and I am having no luck. I have my computer and Xbox 360 each connected by Cat 5 to a NetGear 8 port hub and the hub is connected to an RCA Cable Modem. I am able to get onto LIVE with the xbox and I am able to surf the net with the pc. Each has their own Ip address as I have 3 Ip addresses assigned to my Internet account. I have even used my pc Mac address to have the xbox using the same IP and still no luck. I have tried to install the XP Media connect and It says it cannot find my Xbox 360 even when the 360 is on. I have allowed passage through the firewall and have even disabled the firewall and still no luck. "The Firewall is not an issue" I am not sure what else to do as I have tried Zune Software to do Media sharing and Still I do not see the 360 listed in Zune and when looking for a PC with my 360 it cannot find anything. What should I do? I am so lost....

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This thread is left open for comments, but no help is provided here. Please go to the Console Games forum and post your question there, and someone should be able to help.

JamesBowrell

JamesBowrell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all I’m having trouble connecting my XBOX 360 to my PC. My setup is as follows:

I have a router with an inbuilt ADSL modem this is connected to my phone line to allow me to connect to the internet (This is in a separate room to where my Xbox is)

My PC is connected to my Router using a wireless PCI card

My Xbox is connected to my computer using a CAT-5 cross over cable (Which is in the same room as my PC).

I have media player 11 installed on my PC

When I try to connect to my PC using my Xbox to share media files it can’t detect my PC I get the following:

YEST MEDIA CONNETION

Network Adapter ----- Wired
IP Address ------------- Confirmed
PC selected ------------ Failed

I try and search for my XBOX using Windows Media Player 11 but it can’t detect it can anyone help

Thanks

P.S.

I CAN connect to XBOX live and play online games but that’s about it

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This thread is left open for comments, but no help is provided here. Please go to the Console Games forum and post your question there, and someone should be able to help.

petterwessel

petterwessel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I don't know how many years of my life I have spent searching for answers to different network and firewall problems. It's just very sad. Sometimes I wonder if something good comes out of it, or is it just a huge waste of time?

Now I have spent two whole days trying to connect my xbox 360 to my Windows Vista laptop. Directly without any router or modem or anything.

I put a fixed IP on both the xbox and my PC (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2). Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

When testing it says:

Network Adapter ----- Wired
IP Address ------------- Confirmed
PC selected ------------ Failed

So far so good I guess since I haven't done annything with the PC yet.

In xbox I go to Media > Media Center (it searches but can't contact PC). I press "Y" (Set up a new connection)
I select "Windows Media Center" (it checks network). And I get the message that my console didn't obtain an IP adress from my DHCP server!! Why would he say this, since the IP is set up manually? Anyway, I hit "continue", and get the 8 digit "setup key".

Now I open Media Center on the PC. And it actually finds the xbox!! And he asks if I want to configure it now? Of course I want. I hit "Yes" and then "Next" and he asks for the 8 digit code. I put in the code and hit "next". It tells me that I have at least one extra firewall in adition to the windows firewall. That is correct and I have already opened all the ports that I should. I hit "next" again a couple of times and both the PC and the Xbox starts to try contacting eachother. After some time the PC gives up as tells me something is wrong.

Of course I have also tried to turn both the firewalls completely OFF.

I would be EXTREMELY gratefull if somebode actually had the time to read all this, and I would be in dept for life to the person who might help me solve this problem?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Petter, my only suggestion is to try using Zune player. I find it much easier than media center. Also it is typically not a good idea to run two software firewalls as they usually fight over resources and cause performance issues, although it is not as bad as two real time virus protections. Disable Windows Firewall foverever and stick with Zonealarm, Comodo, or whatever else you are using.

Edit: The test will fail everytime if you have not done the set up. It's a bad system that sends you there when you fail set up.

Edited by Titan8990, 05 December 2007 - 12:38 AM.

kronictokr

kronictokr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, this all works great, and many tx. however any have a lead on playing mpeg4-2/h.264 via the same method? i cannot play the video format with wmp11 wich is a problem because thats what im using to stream video to the 360. i also have windows media connect installed, and noticed that i was able to stream without wmp11 open, regardless it wont play or load via streaming to xbox 360.(the same file on disk works great,played in the 360).

-media player 11 wont play it -[bleep]

-i heard i can use vlc to stream to 360??

-when i place said video formats in my shared file my 360 will read .avi file, but not the h.264/mpeg4-2. when i burn the h.264 file to disk and insert it into my 360, play fine?

any help, on even point me in the right direction would be great

btw, works awsome with .avi .divx

kronictokr

kronictokr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
H.264 mpeg4-2 .avi divx Xbox 360 streaming, seamless and great! Comodo firewall rule at the bottom!!!!

after some searching and testing, this seems to be the method of choice, for streaming .avi, divx, or anything the xbox360 will play. You will also need to get the new update to play .avi, divx type formats, the easiest way to do so is sign into xbox live and place a cd-r or dvd-r, with .avi or divx format on it and download the update when you are promted.

first, for those of us running windows xp, (i am, with sp2, all recent updates, and windows connect) here is the best tutorial i have found on how to get your network and media connection going, and the tutorial contains links to most of the downloads you will need, to set things up.

http://www.geekstogo...ial-t98770.html

also for some extra help fowarding ip's and port's check here, its a great site, you should check it out if any of this confuses you.

http://portforward.com/

ok, that covers .avi, and divx

Step 2

this link got me what i needed to get mpeg4-2 and h.264 readable in wmp11 and on my 360. but and however, i use VLC to play video on my laptop.
And i dint set up FFDshow properly, so even if wmp could read the h.264 file, it could not play it. So i deleted it(ffdshow), and i still use Vlc to play all video files on my laptop, and since my xbox 360 already plays that format it realy only needs to access the information. So i did everything they said on the following link then deleted ffdshow, and it works perfectly on my xbox 360. Actually, my laptop is networked to two 360s and i can can watch two diferrent movies at the same time with no lag!!!! SEAMLESS AND SWEET

ok here it is :) Scroll down to the post made by hobo-2, and follow his tutorial as i did above. his post is about 3/4 down the page.

http://thegreenbutto...ShowThread.aspx

Its works!!!!!!!!

Comodo firewall rule, this is safe if your network runs behind a proxy/you may need static ip network for this!!

click security tab, then the network monitor tab. Under Network Control Rules, you will see the add button, click it. you will need to add two rules and leave all ports open the your cpu ip address as well as that of your xbox 360. Set up the rules like this

1st
source ip , select single ip then insert you cpu ip
destination ip , select single ip then insert your xbox 360 ip
source port=any
destination port=any

2nd rule , exactly the same and reverse the ip's position in source and destination.

i tried to keep an eye on ports being used during streaming so i could further secure my network, but it all runs on way too many so dont bother. just make sure you have a secure network.

Edited by kronictokr, 24 February 2008 - 12:04 PM.