Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crypt32.dll corrupt will not boot

• Please log in to reply

drnads

drnads

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi all, this time the problem is with my daughters laptop. As you can see by the topic title I can't get it to boot. It won't boot in safe mode either. I tried to do a windows repair but when searching for previous installations of XP, I guess it doesn't find any because all I get is the partition info and choices to format or delete the partition. This is an older laptop that came with ME installed and I installed XP over it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll never hear the end of it if I have to reformat and start all over again. 20GB of misc junk that a teenager just HAS to have!!!! :tazz: Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Does the installtion show in the Recovery Console ?
For more details on how to get into Recovery Console, follow the steps below:
  • In your BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
  • Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
  • After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
  • On the next screen you will be asked to choose your Windows installtion, choose the one that is causing the problem by typing the number beside it.

Does the installtion show here; If yes, then you can continue with the rest of the steps:
  • Now you will be prompted for the password of Administrator, enter it; If password is blank, just press <enter>.
  • Below are two ways to recover from this problem from the Recovery Console, use any one of them.
    Use Method1 only if u downloaded and installed SP2.
    Use Method2 if u have installed SP2 from CD and u have the CD; or if u have'nt installed SP2 at all.
  • Method1:
    Type the following commands:
    cd \WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
    copy crypt32.dll c:\Windows\System32
  • Method2:
    Type the following command:
    expand x:\i386\crypt32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll.
    (where x: the drive-letter of ur CD-ROM drive and c: is the partition where XP was installed)

drnads

drnads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I get to the area where it asks for the administrator password and I'm stuck !!!
I don't recall using a password when setting up this machine and I tried just hitting enter with no luck. Is there a default password I could try? I tried a few and got locked out after 3 times, rebooted and tried a few more.

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
though it is often suspected there is backdoor password, I have never encountered it.

You could blank the password using the nt offline password utility

http://home.eunet.no...rdahl/ntpasswd/

drnads

drnads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Many thanks to gerryf for the password reset info. It worked great.

I tried both methods listed to fix the problem, here's what happend:

With the firstone I get the message "the system cannot find the file or directory specified"

So I tried the second and get this message "unable to create file crypt32.dll"

I checked and rechecked my spelling and syntax so I didn't do anything wrong with that.

Any other ideas???

Thanks