Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Submitter

File Information

• Submitted: May 28 2009 11:25 AM
  • Last Updated: Jul 12 2017 02:00 AM
  • File Size: 438KB
  • Views: 2612711
  • Downloads: 1,302,364

Download TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer

* * * * - 11 Votes
oldtimer

Screenshots

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

Please note TFC is not suitable for use on Windows 8.1 or 10

Donation Information:
TFC is 100% free. However, it is the result of significant investments of time and effort by OldTimer. If you find his tools helpful, and would like to support his efforts, please consider a donation. Since you can't buy him a cup of coffee, simply click the Paypal button below:

Posted Image

From what I've read, this might not the best app to use (at the beginning of the list) in preparing for a malware/spyware removal adventure. Any suggestions (excl CCleaner) regarding 'worthy' alternatives?

TFC was designed explicitly to run before other malware removal scans/tools. It has a very simple interface, only clears temp files, and clears them completely. Tools like CC don't clear all the temp files and can leave active infections. They also offer options like registry cleaning, and cookie clearing that can confuse the average user. In some cases introducing new problems. In rare cases malware will hook a file in a temp location causing issues when the system restarts. In those cases, proceeding to remove the remainder of the infection will clear the issues. TFC is also updated frequently to deal with issues as they arise.
Photo
TheDutchJewel
Aug 22 2010 08:02 PM

TFC is also updated frequently to deal with issues as they arise.

How do we know if TFC is updated? I can nowhere find any info here it or about the version number. Is is possible to add the version number on this page if you update TFC?
The link here is always to the latest version of TFC available. Our link is the direct download of OldTimer's FTP account @ http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe Unfortunately, this does not allow the version number to be displayed in this download, or notification of updates. I'll investigate whether that change is practical for all parties involved.
Is there any more info available on this tool?

Also when it finishes running you don't get a chance to read the screen that tells what it is has found to delete because the reboot dialogue is in the way. It'd be nice to be able to read that screen.

thanks
When I clicked the download link K9 decided to block me and tell me that the site in question was a malware source. I'm very much reticent to believe that this is the case, coming as it does from a site like this.

I also checked it with VirusTotal and got 5 bad hits (2x trend, Clam, CAT, esafe).

Like I said I don't want to believe it, but I thought it was well worth checking. Assuming it is incorrect, it's something you might want to notify some of these companies before too many start screaming at the site for advocating "malware"
Photo
Howell Rees
Dec 07 2010 12:52 PM
Hi, I have tried to download the TFC, but cannot find anywhere to do this. can someone point me in the right direction? and I did try the link that Old Timer has above, but that is broken?
thanks.
@ Ehsanit, like most of OldTimer's tools, OTL is updated often. Sometimes one of these updates is flagged by a virus scanner. Something referred to as a 'false positive'. While we contact AV vendors to correct false positives, the tool may have already been updated by the time it's corrected.

@ Howell, we updated the software used for these downloads yesterday. It caused the download button at the top to dissapear. It's been corrected, and you should see a large 'Download' button at the top of this page.
Had a strange problem when running this in a domain environment recently. I logged into a remote machine using RDC and ran the program from the desktop. After rebooting, I could no longer remote in. When I sat down at the workstation, Remote Desktop Connection was not in the firewall exceptions list. As I rebooted the system before running this utility (to force log off all other users), I'm not sure if it was a fluke or if the program changed something.

Great program though!
As Guest wrote (Aug 2010), it would be beneficial to the user to have the ability to review what TFC has removed (or will be removing during reboot). Creating a log of the removal process would be nice!
Any way to recover the Google Logo at the top of the Search site homepage? This is the 2ndtime after running TFC that the Google logo has vanished.

Other files you may be interested in ..

Random Files

10 user(s) are online (in the past 120 minutes)

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP