Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build screen freeze

• Please log in to reply

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
wow - should i just continue to run the mobo with 512? sure does suck. could i just swap the mobo without swapping the processor?

if it is the mobo it means i have two 512ddr400 sticks, one 512ddr333 and a 256ddr333.

such as shame as i run games that require 1gb and was soooo looking forward to today when it arrived. Is there anything else i can do about it/to confirm its the mobo.

and, was your corsair 1gb in one stick?
and what is the differen between the A8N5X and my K8N.

anyway, sorry - lots of questions. I'll keep perservering, seems like my low budget build has become something else.

oh well - stay positive right? Your msgs carry good karma.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

You could go on using the existing MoBo with 512 MB RAM or...

Have a look at This MoBo for use with your new 512"s and your processor. The MoBo I used was a socket 939...yours is a socket 754. The K8V-MX is a lot more board for a little more money.... :tazz:

Corsair is the best RAM around as far as I am concerned...pretested and packaged in matched sets. The 1024 set I linked you to is 2 512's...they're a good set. Sets of 2 1024's are also available. You can check for compatability on the Corsair site by selecting your MoBo from a list and selecting from the compatable options that result...a very good option for inexperienced builders.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 November 2005 - 02:23 PM.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
thanks!
i would need a new processor for the 939 socket though wouldnt I?Hmm - almost a whole new computer - i wish i could, but funds are now low. anyway will bear your recommendations in mind for future. Thanks.
Deudonne

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The MoBo in my last post will work with your processor and RAM...Just a better board than the one you currently have... :tazz:

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
does that mobo have a pci express slot - just thinking, if im gonna replace and upgrade, people say that the next gen will have those.

also what features does that motherboard have over mine - both asus 754 - would it be more reliable - say on website about it being crash-free. Does mine not have that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

No, that MoBo doesn't support PCI Express, but This One does.

Both the boards I linked you to are a step up from your current board...not a big step up, but a little higher quality none-the-less. All the boards are supported by ASUS' crash-free BIOS.

As a side note...three things I always try to buy locally if I can...MoBo, CPU, and RAM.

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
good advice.

i was found an opportunity to speak briefly to an IT technician at my work today. He said that although it sounds like mobo it could be worth trying to try different driver for graphics card. I did update graphics card drivers from original 5.3 catalyst on cd to 5.9 and then just last week for the sake of it it updated again to 5.11.

I dont know if this would explain the 1 stick working and not two, but it often freezes on loading ati sys tray icon (but not always)

He lent me a cheap graphics card to use for a few days in place of my other (as my mobo has no onboard graphics) - and see if the 1gb RAM can work with a different graphics card.

Another thing i was thinking (i hope you dont mind me running these things past you) was that i did set up my whole xp system and loaded all programs with this mobo and with 2 STICKS of ddr33 in. Could it be that the 512 stick was corrupt slightly (i did get that stick from a friend who said it wouldnt work in his comp) and that setting up the system with a slighly corrupted RAM has meant that there is some instability in the system - causing these effects.

hmm.. speculation.

Only reply if you have the time.

Cheers!

Deudonne

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
actually - have you heard anything specific about certain ati drivers and catalyst control centre updates. I have an x700pro. I think that if it works with the other card i'll just try the 5.3 drivers off the cd.

Right - i'm gonna swap them now. See you on the other side.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
er - ok, well that didnt work

gonna look at prices for the other asus boards.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

My-My...we've been busy. You've done all the things I would have done had your machine been on my bench...good job! With those checks out of the way, and the problem persisting, I still lean towards the MoBo.

As for the RAM causing instability from install, that's always a possibilty...however...it would not explain why one or more RAM slots do not function. When you change out the MoBo, you will have to run a repair installation anyway because of the hardware change. That should clear up any instability issues from the previous installation. One thing I would suggest to you, is running the MEMTEST disk on the board and RAM (use the new Kingston pair) right after you install it...this will point out any potential problems before you run the repair. Also make sure to use a good quality thermal past between the CPU cooler and the CPU...I use Arctic Silver or Arctic Aluminum if the Silver is not available. Both have very good thermal transfer properties.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you do. We are always interested in knowing how these kinds of things turn out! :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 25 November 2005 - 12:34 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
before going that route, have you run a ram tester yet?

http://www.memtest.org/

download the iso and burn it to a cd, and reboot with that in your drive...let it run for several passes and see if it errors with stick one, stick two and both.

This will take windows out of the equation.

One thing that it does not appear you have checked yet, unless I missed it, is the power supply. You had similar problems with two different motherboards and different sticks of ram--the power supply is a consistant element (unless you changed it without mentioning).

Some of the most difficult to diagnose problems are power supply issues.

When you install memory, it draws voltage--one stick will draw 3.3 volts. If you add a second stick and the power supply's 3.3 rail is inadequate, that may be causing your issue

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
right, yes. cheers wannabe1 - great advice for new mobo route, which i didnt already know. very useful.

querryf - i havent run memtest yet - although i thought that if they (the RAM sticks) worked without sys hang by themselves then they would be ok. As soon as i put two in i get freeze - max 2 mins after sys tray icons load. However i am keen to double check anyway so i will run it.
I'll let you know the results as soon as i do.

About the power supply - i have read on other forums that this is often a source of probs - and from what i have read my symptoms do seem to fit. Always goes down when more power required. I have a stock (cheap) case supply 400W - but i read that wattage means nothing. So is there anyway i can test the efficiency of the psu? I have asus probe which has voltage readings, and speedfan - but im not sure what i'm looking for. Asus 'cool and quiet' also has a voltage meter.

would 1gb draw more power than 756? - because it did run, although unreliably, with 756. Its running fine with 512.

will look into memtest this weekend. Thanks for all the incredible support!

Edited by deudonne, 25 November 2005 - 07:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

You are most welcome for the assistance...that's why we're here. :tazz:

I'm all for double or even triple checking everything when working with computer hardware. Give gerryf's suggestions a shot...he's a very sharp technician and his advice is always first rate! I'd be interested in the results, as well.

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Memtest86+ Results

[I will edit (and refer to) this post as i get further results - the tests take a while]

Testing: asusK8N 300+AMD Athlon64 and the two new sticks (maybe the old DDR333 512 abd 256 later)
Intended tests:

RAM-A: 512KingstonDDR400
a. slot 1
b. slot 2
c. slot 3
RAM-B: 512KingstonDDR400
d. slot 1
e. slot 2
f. slot 3
RAM-A and RAM-B
g. A-slot1/B-slot2
h. Bslot1/Aslot2
i. Aslot2/Bslot3
j. Bslot2/Aslot3
k. Aslot1/Bslot3
l. Bslot3/Aslot1

I will do them in order of importance to determine RAM vs. Mobo fault

Memtest Results
(number of tests passed relates to how long I could bear watching the progress bar - ideally i'm looking for 10+passes)

Test a.
0 10+passes (with no fails unless specified)
1 10+passes
2. 10+passes
3. 10+passes
4. 2 passes
5. 1 pass
6. 1 pass
7. 1 pass
8. 2 passes
9. (90minute test!)
10 100%+ pass

Test g.
0. (will edit post with these reults soon)
1. 10 passes
2. 2 passes
3. 2 passes
4. 2 passes
5. program froze around 96%, next time screen freeze followed by automatic reboot - and again 3rd and 4th
6. 3 passes
7. 3 passes
8. 1 pass
10. 100%+

test b
0. pass
1. pass
2. pass
3. pass
4. pass
5. pass
6. pass
7. pass
8. pass
10. pass

Edited by deudonne, 28 November 2005 - 10:26 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like you're having fun and learning gobs! :)

If you're going to edit the same post, I won't be notified by e-mail when you post fresh results....PM me when you post results and I'll check them out! :tazz:

wannabe1