Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop random shutdown

• Please log in to reply

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi guys. Hope you can help me. :)

My 3 yr. old NEO laptop has been randomly shutting down for around a year now. I've checked for malware and my system's clean. I'm convinced that this is hardware related. I've also read topics regarding random shutdowns but those I've found were desktop PC's and they were discussing about fixing/replacing/doing stuff to individual computer components. I don't think I can do that with my laptop. Here's some observations and info that I think would be useful.

- It seems to be "picky" about where I plug my power adapter. If it "dislikes" the outlet, it shuts down randomly around once every ~10-30 mins. If it "likes" the outlet, it could go on for more than 24hrs. It can still shut down when I 'move' the adapter though. I still haven't figured out the timing or what 'move' causes the shutdown (I've tried kicking it, picking it up, twisting the wires, etc). When I intentionally kick or pick it up, most of the time nothing happens.It only does when the adapter is moved unintentionally, but not always. Confusing? Not yet? Good... :)

- My HDD is around 3 mos old. I've replaced the old one that came with it. I haven't replaced, added or removed any other hardware.

- I don't think it's overheating. I don't use any software or equipment to measure temperature, just my hands. When the random shutdown occurs, my
laptop's pretty cool (my seat's warmer :)). The overheating temperature is way higher than the temperature my laptop's at when it randomly shuts
down. I'm pretty sure its not overheating.

- My battery is dead. Attaching or detaching the dead battery doesn't seem to have any effect to the problem.

- My fan is not working. I use a laptop cooling pad instead. Works fine.

- Right now, I'm thinking that the most probable cause is the power adapter. Next would be RAM or some other internal component maybe.

I'm looking for advice on what to do to fix it or know where the problem is. Thanks.

*Please note that I am not very adept with hardware. I would really appreciate it if you guys can be detailed like the staff at the malware removal forums. :)

Edited by ditrackster, 09 May 2008 - 09:07 PM.

Advertisements

liljone

liljone

• Pip
  • 4 posts
my friend has a 3-4yr old laptop dose the same thing. I think you need a new batt because laptop batts only can take so many recharges before they start to go bad (About 1000 recharges). 3yrs depending on how offen you use the batt 3yrs can add up to allot recharges!! :)

Edited by liljone, 11 May 2008 - 03:39 PM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I have a power adapter so I wouldn't need a battery. :)

liljone

liljone

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I have a power adapter so I wouldn't need a battery. :)

it shuts down well plugged in?

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
yeah it does. Is it possible that the electronics/components inside my AC adapter is damaged due to overuse? I'm quite sure these things don't degrade with just 3 yrs of normal use. Or do they?

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
:) Any ideas regarding this one?