Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe error - repair via cd fails at reboot

• Please log in to reply

mwal

mwal

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me with this, I've got a hard drive to save!

Booted up computer last night to find that it wouldn't start (even in Safe Mode), an error would pop up with something, all I can remember is something like "lsass.exe...0c000000..."

Googled around and a repair was suggested, did this via the cd and all went ok apart from when it came to rebooting the machine - no longer get the error but it now just hangs at a black screen.

Any suggestions as to my next move greatly appreciated...help me geekstogo, you're my only hope!

Advertisements

mwal

mwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Where have all the geeks gone? I know they deserve a decent break, but if anyone could help me with this problem I'd be eternally grateful.

mwal

mwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Has this stumped everyone? No-one got any bright ideas? I'd consider them all before I resort to the sledgehammer

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this. Test your computer after each step. I strongly recommend that you backup your data before. This can be done by rigging the hard disk to another computer, buying a HD enclosure and connect it via USB to another computer, or by installing, for backup purposes, another operating system like windows based BartPE or linux based Puppy Linux.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future...don't bump your thread... people that can help will not even look at your topic because they see several replies to it and think you are already getting helped by someone when its only you replying to your own topic... :)

mwal

mwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Point taken, wrist slapped - won't do it again.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've tried the link and still get to the same point, i.e. black screen with a enlarged pointer and nothing else. From the DOS prompt I can see that my c: drive is intact.

Any advice as to what to do next?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Avira rescue tool and create a bootable CD. Boot with the CD and let Avira scan for malware. If that doesn't help and If you already ran windows repair then there is not much that you can do besides clear format.

mwal

mwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
You guys are the greatest!

Ran it and it found something which it renamed, then booted with no problem at all.

Have subsequently run a full virus scan and it deleted something which it said was "the TR/Kates.C Trojan"

Do I need to do anything else besides this to make sure it's squeaky clean?

THANKS AGAIN, EXTREMELY GRATEFUL!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being that you did find a infection then I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

mwal

mwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thankyou - one additional question: all the emails from Thunderbird have disappeared. They are still there but show a blank message inside BUT the odd thing is that when I picked up my old email, the text from my very first email showed itself in the info popup that occurs in the corner when a new email arrives??

So that would suggest to me that the email content is still there, just that it's been disconnected somehow - any pointers on this or is this better in a specific Thunderbird forum?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do the malware first as this might resolve the email problem also.
List that in the problems when you start the topic in that forum.
This way the Tech will know exactly the issues that need to be resolved.

olbo

olbo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Download Avira rescue tool and create a bootable CD. Boot with the CD and let Avira scan for malware. If that doesn't help and If you already ran windows repair then there is not much that you can do besides clear format.

Hi

Had exactly the same issue as mwal. Downloaded Avira rescue tool

The first scan also found TR/Kates.C Trojan but it didn't delete it cause "protocol malware records only" was selected in the options
I reboot and tried to select "remove infected file" but once selected the screen froze and I can't do anything but turn off the computer...

Can you suggest me similar tool with Avira rescue system?

Tks a bunch

Edited by olbo, 28 October 2009 - 10:03 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know of any other free, bootable antivirus. My not-so-long experience with this tool is that there are some glitches. A common problem is that Avira freeze unless you disable the floppy drive (even if you don't have one) in the BIOS. If it still doesn't work for you then I suggest that you look in Avira's forum. (switch to English if you don't speak German).

Geekd to Go policy is that malware removal guidance is only given in the malware forum. Please use the link in my list below and start from there.