Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer build problems

• Please log in to reply

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
It is adm socket 754.

1st time build for me, according to mother board manual 4 leds are supposed to go on and only 2 are on if other 2 off says maybe a cpu /chipset error?

Should I reattach the heat sink of maybe I plugges heatsink into wrong connector

I had trouble with heatsink could not get black lever to loop all the way around to snap in but 2 tabs on each side are secure, could this be problem?

*I guess I will have to take out the whole set up in order to reset the heat sink.

Edited by Alantnyk222, 12 March 2006 - 02:05 PM.

Advertisements

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I twisted the black snap as far as I could and looks almost like diagram now, but nothing will go on except 1 lcd light, I wonder if I plugged the correct power sw to the motherboard?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Would you, by any chance be able to re-explain the above, I'm finding it hard to understand your problem.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well I built a computer from parts, everything seems to be fine but the computer won't go on. My biggest preblems have been the heatsink attaching to the cpu. It seemed to come with it's own termal goo, I took the heatsink off once and put it back on becuase I was having a problem attaching, I hope this won't cause any problems. Additionally, the 2 metal snaps closed around the cpu base but I had a major time getting the black arm to swing over to lock, and it did not lock completely like in the diagram but it is close.

All wires are attached except the cord from the case to attach the power which is confusing for me to find the correct pins. There is nothing on the motherboard the corresponds to power SW.

Seems very straight forward to me and it makes no sense why the computer won't go on. Only the dvd player lights go on and 1 lcd ligtht on motherboard, no fans or beeps or anything else.

looks like I wasted $700 on components I should have just bough at crappy dell.

Edited by Alantnyk222, 12 March 2006 - 06:23 PM.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
maybe I just have the case cables plugged in wrong direction on the pins, should the white letters on the connectors face in or out of case and sould the prongs go in horizontal or vertical? -- or /
/

? thanks

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Well I built a computer from parts, everything seems to be fine but the computer won't go on. My biggest preblems have been the heatsink attaching to the cpu. It seemed to come with it's own termal goo, I took the heatsink off once and put it back on becuase I was having a problem attaching, I hope this won't cause any problems. Additionally, the 2 metal snaps closed around the cpu base but I had a major time getting the black arm to swing over to lock, and it did not lock completely like in the diagram but it is close.

All wires are attached except the cord from the case to attach the power which is confusing for me to find the correct pins. There is nothing on the motherboard the corresponds to power SW.

Seems very straight forward to me and it makes no sense why the computer won't go on. Only the dvd player lights go on and 1 lcd ligtht on motherboard, no fans or beeps or anything else.

looks like I wasted $700 on components I should have just bough at crappy dell.

What do you mean by you dont have the cord attached that says power SW?

Power SW means power switch.

Can you explain the above better for me im sorry but im trying to understand it.

To me it sounds like it might be a cpu problem from what you said above about the cpu.

Edited by jrm20, 12 March 2006 - 10:26 PM.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well there is no power so cannot know yet if I damaged to cpu. The front poanel facilities is giving me difficulties. I am trying ti stick the pins in JPANEL1.

The cord that comes with the case has 1 cord for speak 4 prongs with 2 wires, that goes into pins 1 3 5 7

if you have the case in front of you on a table, the cpu is in the center, memory stick connection to right of cpu, and lower right side (near you) is the front panel connection - Stupid question. When I plug in the connection to the pins should I see the writing or should it be facing away from me (to the cpu side?)

There are 2 ways to put in the pins.

2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24
1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19 21 23

same thing for the othe cord that came with the case it has a power coder, reset power, hd led and 2 pwer led connectors

My power on button covers pin 14 power button and 16 ground

again I have the same dilema - should I see the writing on the connection or should writing face away from me, 2 ways to put on pins...?

I think this is why my computer is not powering up.

Edited by Alantnyk222, 12 March 2006 - 11:09 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
As long as you have the power button cable hooked up to the motherboard in the right spot it is suppost to turn on.

You said that Only the dvd player lights go on and 1 lcd light on motherboard. That tells me that you have the power button cable hooked up correctly because they are getting power and for them to get power the power button has to be pressed to turn on.

As long as the power button cable is hooked up right the system is going to power on, dont worry about the hard disk drive led or restart button right now. You might have the speaker cable plugged in wrong though.

Something is messed up somewhere. Your suppost to get the boot up screen atleast and you say your not. (even if the harddrive cables were on wrong).

Check the video card and make shure its seated down all the way correctly.

So, the pc is getting power atleast.

Check to make shure that you have the 4 pin Square connector from the powersupply hooked to the motherboard if the motherboard has one. Its called a 4 pin atx 12 volt wire from the power supply. I dont think the pc would turn on at all without it but double check to make shure.

Edited by jrm20, 12 March 2006 - 11:40 PM.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
If I have the power supply hooked up correctly, why don't the fans run?

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I had to run to work but gave it 1 more shot, unplugged video car and made sure it sits sung - Guess what! it booted up - thank you.

I got boot error due to no CD - I did not have XP disk in cd (I actually do not know where my XP disk is I hope I find tonight)

I will try and finish tonight., I never did an install from scratch - any suggestions?

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Hey Techs, don't you guy feel that the 24 prongs port in his post is a bit too many prongs for case conector? I could mis understand but if that the case than I think Alantnyk222 did some thing he not supposed to do.
anyway, to Alantnyk222, For the power go from Power suply to the board there is only one way to plug in because of the key on the plug. Back ward it will not go in. Insome cases there will be an extra 12V power from the power suply to the board. Most of the time,I mean most but not every time, if it fit you are OK. For those wires fromthe case to the board, there only two pairs of wire are need for the machine to funtion, the rest just for extra like LEDs, front speakers,etc...
The two set are: one for power on and one for reset. For this two sets, as long as you pair them right on the right right pair of prong on your mother board you are good. all they do is touch to triger so it doesn't matter + or -. The heat sink fan can only fit in one way also. Some mother board a bit peaky will not start up if there is no cpu fan attached but most of them will power up.
One mor thing for Alantnyk222, don't power your machine 'till you have your heat sink properly mounted or your will have to buy new CPU later.

Edited by mcpscomp, 13 March 2006 - 09:06 AM.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for all helpful replies, I really need this to work. How will I ever know if I put in the heatsink correctly or not? I made the mistake of taking it off and seeing some goo on the cput (thermal glue that came with the heatsink?) i re-attached the heatsink. Did this mess up the thermal glue?

When I get home I will check if fans go on now...?

I think I made myself more agony than necessary but I will never give up.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
technically, it need NEW thermal compoud there!!!!!!!
but I never did on my own systemssss and none of them gone bad on me yet.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Appreciate all replies even with my wrong terms and descriptions...I tried my best.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I had to run to work but gave it 1 more shot, unplugged video car and made sure it sits sung - Guess what! it booted up - thank you.

I got boot error due to no CD - I did not have XP disk in cd (I actually do not know where my XP disk is I hope I find tonight)

I will try and finish tonight., I never did an install from scratch - any suggestions?

Your welcome, thats what im here for. :tazz: