Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to remove Vista from dual boot.

• Please log in to reply

tom141414

tom141414

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I installed vista on my old pc just to try out for a bit but now i would like to remove it. I installed vista on a second hard disk F:

I read somewhere about resetting master boot records and i am a bit confused all i want to do is keep my windows xp install on C: intact and remove vista from F:

I do have an xp install disk if that is required.

If somebody could give me fairly detailed instructions i would appreciate it, thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Easiest and simplest way would be to wipe the HD and reformat it using something along the lines of DBan.

tom141414

tom141414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I heard that because vista has some custom bootloader stuff that you need to edit the boot.ini file and reset the master boot record. Is that True?

eastSt-Pris

eastSt-Pris

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Acronis Disk Director Suite is a really nice program to use to delete and reformat drives quickly. I've dual booted XP Pro and Vista numerous times. If your using one hard drive your left with the Vista bootmanager after deleting Vista so you need to put your XP disk and and go into Recovery. Use your "fixmbr" "fixboot" commands to rebuild your XP boot.ini and then you can boot back into XP.