Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cristal ball time so where does all this convergence...

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I have not asked this question in a while and things have moved on so the question is simply:

"With the ongoing convergence of the computer, the telephone and the television....

a) are we talking of winners and losers,
b) are we talking about two eventual types of machine handheld and fixed.
c) are we forgetting something.
d) are we talking about something likely.
e) are we talking about something soon or longterm.
etc., etc.,

Anyway, hope this question takes root here, looking forward to seeing what people's expectations are.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Expecting?

More vidfone.
Malware spreading to new machines.
More tinfoil (to protect against all the wireless chatter).
At least one fixed machine in every household and one mobile per citizen from early teens up.
The first ones are available, but not popular yet. The second are available but not advanced enough yet. So I'd say short term.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
a) I feel even now the battlelines, if not the war itself are being drawn between the television makers, the computer makers and the telephone people, convergence is here, already those DVD players for the television are being replaced by game machiene(computers of a sort then), Cameras by digital cameras, digital cameras by mobilephones that take pictures, fixed phones by broadband telephoning, ah but who and what will win through then?
b) Yes, something fixed which is big enough to be seen form a distance like the television, and something handheld to carry needed things on it as well as commanding from it, comunicating by it, etc.,.
c) More and more I begin to feel that my harddrive is my computer and that I just connect it up to a fixed machine to access it so I still think that if one could voice command and the computer could voice reply, the saving in weight(no keyboard, nor screen) and in batery consumtion would be a real plus, hands free too, come on Microsoft, push, push, hint, hint.
e) I agree with Metallica here, every home at least one and everybody carrying one, 1984 by popular request.
f) sooner than we think, it will be here

But what point am I missing here?

Edited by fleamailman, 24 March 2006 - 08:22 PM.