Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is crashing as we speak

• Please log in to reply

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I need some serious.. serious help... i have this computer.. (obviously).. and wen i got it .. it was supposed 2 be empty because it was just formated but it wasent.. it had a pop up.. but i just lived with it.. now my computer has barely nothing on it.. and its completly full i have no space at all and i have so many different pop ups its driving me crazy... i dont have tha disk 2 reformat it with windows XP.. and i cant seem 2 just fix it .. it wont go away.. i want to downgrade to windows 98.. how do i go about doin that...if anybody can help me PLZ msg me on aim - bdstchick5 ... n e help would be GREATLY GREATLY GREATLY appreciated... thanx

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

If you want to go back to Win98, do you have a Win98 boot floppy, the Win98 cd and key code??

If you want to try to keep XP, then I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and follow their instructions..

The link is in my signature (very bottom of my post).. Just click on it..

Murray

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
yeah i have tha disk's 2 downgrade.. i just dont no what to do. i no how 2 reformat if it was already windows 98.. but i dont no how to do it from windows XP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As mentioned, you could let the Malware Team take a look

You can borrow an XP CD to run everything with the exception of an install, and you may find XP is viable then

If you do not want to keep XP, post back

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
How-to perform a fresh (clean) install of Windows 98

Murray

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok.. so can .. to downgrade.. do i do liek.. tha same thing i would do if i was reformating windows 98?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use boot and nuke to wipe the drive

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You can also run through this if you want to have a go at keeping XP

Download and run this

http://grc.com/stm/s...hemessenger.htm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options, click clean up restore points, confirm, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Then

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Try to borrow an XP CD for this

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
oh my gosh.. im sorry i realy dident understand that.. i applogise if im bein difficult and seem liek ur trying to teach a chimp... sayin i dont want to keep XP.. how do i downgrade.. could ya tell me that?...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Boot and Nuke from the first link, you put it onto a floppy disc and then start the PC with it in and it will clear XP off

I think you may need to do this because you do not have the XP CD to format the drive

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
of corse.. as soon as u start speaking my language and i understand what to do i cant find a floppy disc.... im so cursed.. its official.. my computer hates me :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is a CDR Version of boot and nuke

Download it from the nearest location

http://prdownloads.s...86.iso?download

Q: How do I make a bootable CD with the ISO file?

A: Download the ISO file to your desktop and double-click it.

If nothing happens when you double-click the ISO file, then you must obtain CD burning software, like one of these products:

CDBurnerXP (Gratis)
VSO Blindwrite (Shareware)
Nero Burning ROM (Shareware)
Roxio Easy Writer (Commercial)
If you burn DBAN to CD-R and see just one file when you open the CD-R afterwards, then you have burned DBAN incorrectly.

Use the cdrecord command if you have a Linux computer.

DBAN may not boot if you modify the ISO file or filesystem layout in any way, like by injecting files.

Download the latest version of this if you do not have CD Writing software

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I dont have a CD burner :whistling:.. im such a pain in tha butt.. im so sorry... im hopeless... n e body wanna come fix my computer cuz im an airhead and cant seem to do it myself.. :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you ask a friend to get the boot and nuke file and put it on to a CDR

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i think so.. i just hope my comp will hold out til then.. im scared it might die on me n e minute.. do i have to boot nuke thing 2 downgrade?.. is there n e other way 2 do it?..... i have tha windows 98 boot disk... and tha cd to install it.. n e way i could do it working with those?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try it, it can only say no