Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i pod question

• Please log in to reply

derek44

derek44

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
is it possible to take songs back of my ipod so i can put them on a mp3 cd to burn?how?thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes there is software to do it, but im not sure if were allowed to tell you, its not strictly illegal but its borderline so i better not, but i would look on google for your answer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm pretty sure all the software used for pulling the music from an ipod is concidered legal...don't have one so i don't use the stuff...just posting on the legality...(personally...i think it should be ILLEGAL for apple to not supply such a utility with the product...what if your pc dies...how do you get the songs off the ipod? what if the ipod dies programatically...but still has the songs on it? )

geekguy5

geekguy5

• Pip
  • 3 posts
it's gotta be legal man. if you own those songs on your ipod and just want to burn them, it's definately legal.

gg

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
You own the songs, so you would be allowed to get the songs off of it. However, because of the DMCA and the copy protection on your iPod, using the program is illegal.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
[removed innapropriate comments]
Heres an article i found http://www.cnet.com/...-6477981-1.html there is some specific software that does it all for you but i cant remember its name now ive got a friend who uses it but i cant remember the name.

http://engadget.com/...-off-your-ipod/ heres another article on it, reccomends what looks like some pretty good software. Also you can try podlinux if youre hardcore and want a change for the whole ipod, you might try winamp i know the zens work well with it and can move songs back and forth but you can do that with them normally unlike ipods so thats worth a try its still better than itunes for getting stuff on.

Edited by admin, 11 April 2006 - 08:14 AM.

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yah because when I bought the ipod the salesman said it can be used to keep songs on so you can delete them from your computer to save the pc space.well now i need to burn a cd and all my songs are on my ipod and cant get them off.

derek44

derek44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you warriorscot i followed your cnet link and it does in fact work.thank you very much.
Derek

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No bother.