Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBook Help

• Please log in to reply

churchskiz

churchskiz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys,

I'm a Windows vet that recently started my own computer business. A lady called me this morning about her IBook. She says that her computer was working fine until a friend checked his out-of-country e-mail on her machine. Some desktop icons were removed and word processing documents will randomly disappear off the screen sometimes. If it was a windows machine i'd right away tell her it's virus or spyware, but I've never really worked on a Mac before. Any tips or suggestions? At this point i'd assume it was a spyware issue as she is using internet explorer. What tools should I use to scan/remove? Is there an online virus scanner like trendmicro for Macs? Please let me know ASAP. I'll also be posting this in the malware forum as well. Thanks.

Advertisements

robinpow

robinpow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just tell the lady to zap her pram. As a rule we don't have to worry about spy ware and all those other nasty little things the other side does. Also give here the suggestion of doing what most Mac users do... DUMP the IE and grab a copy of Netscape, Mozilla or any other browser that doesn't start with MS... :tazz:

appleswitch

appleswitch

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
This topic looks done but I just wanted to recommend something besides Netscape and Mozilla. Netscape Is dead. Instead of mozilla she wants Firefox by mozilla you mighht have meant firefox but Im just making sure, secondly If she is on OS X she doesen't need a browser, she has one built in to OS X called Safari, It has a faster downloading speed than firefox by alot (firefox wins a little in upload speed but you dont use that as much) and It usually has better rendering than firefox. I agree with robinpow tho, the number one thing to remember Is NO INTERNET EXPLORER! (that goes for windows people to, download firefox)