Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot start computer [Resolved]

• Please log in to reply

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok...

I can't recall the first time it started happening, but for quite some time now my computer has been the victim of crashes and hard-locks of all kinds. At first it was infrequent and easy to ignore. Then it was my ill fortune to contract WinFixer - my problems went from weekly crashes to daily ones. For the most part, I didn't recieve any information on what kind of errors my computer was experiancing.

Until this past month... it started taking multiple restarts to get the computer running after it bugged out. I was warned that my computer had corrupt system files, stuff like "Trap Exception 000000006," all kinds of stuff. I'm not really great with computers, just competent enough to use programs intelligently, so I didn't know how to fix these problems.

It wasn't until I came to this site searching for a way to remove WinFixer that I managed to stumble upon the "How to repair Windows XP" topic here. I got rid of WinFixer but my freezes still continued. The computer quickly developed another set of problems - it began to take ten or more tries to get the computer to boot up. Sometimes when I pressed the power button, the monitor would not exit hibernation mode - the computer was apparently not booting at all (no familiar start-up "beep" at the first screen). When this happened, it would take upwards of twenty reboots just to get back to the "comforting" error cycle I was familiar with.

And so that leads me to today...

My computer crashed as of 7:30 PM EST, and I have not been able to boot it since. I did manage to get to XP early on, but it froze as soon as I loaded up my browser and then went back to the "not even sending a signal to the monitor" mode. While the monitor is not responding, as far as I can tell, the computer isn't "on." The lights are green, the drives get read, but nothing happens. Eventually I managed to get a flasing DOS cursor and got into BIOS so I could set my machine to boot from CD. I did manage to get in to repair, but... it crashed during it! I'm retrying as I type, but I'm unsure how succesful I will be... looks like it just died again.

It seems to crash alot while I'm playing World of Warcraft... but I'm almost always playing WoW, and I've had it crash plenty of times when I wasn't doing anything at all.

System Specs:
640 MB RDRAM
1.4ghz P4 >.<
20gb hard drive >.<
56k dialup >.<
32 mb Nvidia GeForce 2 >.<
Windows XP Professional

What the heck is going on? Honestly, I have no idea. Will repairing Windows (IF I ever get it all the way through without crashing) even work?

EDIT: My apologies, I didn't know the place of eternal spiritual torment and burning agony was a censored curseword. >.<

EDIT 2: I recieved this error while attempting to repair Windows. I made it to 51%. t.t

MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR
*** STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x808855F0, 0xA2000000,0x84010400)

EDIT 3: Recieved this error three times while the repair disk was loading.

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

Edited by DirePenguin, 21 April 2006 - 03:10 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it repair?

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have had no success yet. Each time the computer crashes during the repair. I have not managed to succesfully complete a repair yet.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Interesting. After several false starts following the last crash during repair, it went straight to the "choose your boot mode: Safe, Last Known Good Config, Normal" - either the monitor didn't turn on in time for me to see the boot from CD option, or it skipped it.

My resolution has been set to the lowest possible option, apparently from "repairing."

I attempted to log in and recieved this error:
A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the liscense for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get anywhere if you boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options then choose safe mode and press enter

The trap error is a processor thing and the machine check is an hardware thing so no good news yet

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I will try to keep up with the edits :whistling:

This is an outside chance, note the bit about look for system checkpoints

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Umm... I'm not sure I can log on anymore. I tried to again and I got

"A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the liscense for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002"

again.

Why is my computer crashing during repair mode? Isn't it booting off the CD?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you start Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:
A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80070002.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This issue can occur if one of the following conditions is true: • The default security provider in Windows XP has been changed.
• The system drive letter has changed.
The security provider issue has been reported with Dell computers on which the Dell Assistant software is installed.

Try safe mode or the restore from a command prompt and let me know

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I keep getting
STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

What does that mean?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a go with this

http://support.micro...kb/307545/en-us

Advertisements

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I can't log in though, I recieve that error.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
The first two error messages in that link are VERY familiar, those two show up all the time when the computer has trouble restarting. Considering that WinFixer messes with the registry... that would make sense. But now I've gone and messed with my system files more.

I can't finish repairing because I keep crashing. I can't stop crashing because I can't finish repairing. t.t

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press "Enter":

expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\Windows\system32

If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y.

Type exit, and press "Enter" at the command prompt.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
SUCCESS - I've managed to log in in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Let's see how it goes from here.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Recovery Console Command Prompt is not the same as Safe Mode with Command Prompt, right? How do I get to recovery console? Should I keep going with Command Prompt or go do the Recovery Console stuff first?