Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opinions appreciated on DRM methods.

• Please log in to reply

Tetsuo74

Tetsuo74

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Everyone,

I am currently researching attitudes to DRM technologies and Intellectual Protection Rights. If you have knowledge in this field I would be extremely grateful if you could answer my short Questionnaire linked below, any details you supply as to your position and identity is at your discretion.
Many Thanks,
John

DRM & IPR Technologies Survey: http://www.surveymon...?u=761162019800

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well this is something i feel strongly about and i will activley boycott software amd other media formats that use aggresive DRM heres what i have written on methods of DRM currently and what i think of it:

The best method of protecting intelectual property is fair pricing and good service. The current market is not monitored and cartels are something thats not unusual, price fixing is rampant.

The current prices are far to high given current consumer markets and levels of wealth in the industrialised world, profit levels are enormous. In my opinion increasing levels of piracy are a direct response to overpricing and poor services.

Intelectual property rights currently are fair towards both the producing party and the customer, however there is incresaing movement in the media industry to unfairly balance this towards the producing parties this can be seen with the DMCA in the US and similar acts in other nations it makes it illegal to circumvent DRM methods however every user has the right to make copies of the property for there own use a direct contradiction.

The problem is with the product and those exploiting it not those creating or purchasing it. In the end most of the profits do not go to the artists/creators as it should and the customer doesnt see anything extra for the extra money they pay.

The whole methods of DRM used at the moment are not in the best interest of the customers and the aritsts involved do not see the extra profits from higher prices and different distribution methods. There is a strong movement against any for of DRM in media and things like straforce protection and sony DRM rootkits saw millions boycott products that used them and legislation against the distibution companies that used it. The problem isnt the security of the media its the services given for the price of the product.

Tetsuo74

Tetsuo74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply Warriorscot,
you make some very good points and obviously know this subject well. I have found from the results of my study that the majority of respondents believe DRM is not a feasible approach. The interesting question remains as to why DRM is still being developed and pursued by the Media companies, is it purely control of the product? Or is it from a fear that a completely transparent free flowing market may leave their "middleman" status redundant. It will be interesting to see which direction the Media companies take, the results of my work suggests that the time has come for companies dealing in intangible IP to put themselves through the painful metamorphosis required to re-align their business models with todays networked supply chains.

I also agree with you that current pricing is wrong. The highstreet pricing of DVDs and CDs is highly erratic and leaves the consumer confused and often unsure what the right price is. Films and Albums can fluctuate wildly, £18.99 one day, £2.99 the next, where does that leave the consumer? Because of the proliferation of piracy in other parts of Europe the prices were dropped to suit consumer demands, but what is the price for a DVD? If you regularly debase the value of a commodity then you also question its integrity.

Whatever happens in the next few years I believe those who deal in IP must find new ways to produce revenue. This is not a negative adjustment, these new revenue streams could raise profits and raise consumer satisfaction. Ex, if I want to see a live concert why can't I stream it as it takes place? Surely this is possible. Before recordable media live performance was all there was, and it can be reborn given the breadth of access afforded by broadband. Why pay so much for performances recorded decades ago when there are other ways of delivering unique content straight to the consumer. This is all about providing added value for the consumer, if there is no more value in legally purchasing a DVD (apart from a DVD case)than illegally downloading it, then piracy will always be a problem. Answers from the questionnaire have proposals ranging from flat taxes of "cultural consumption" to strict legal frameworks, I believe the key to the future of IP will be flexibility and value for the consumer, produce the right mix of these and the majority will pay for a product.
Any further comments will be appreciated,
thanks
John

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well to me youve hit the nail on the head with "value to the customer". Media is no longer offering value for money. A DVD released these days will be released often in two version an £14.99 standard version and a £20 extended or special addition with the extra content documentaries bloopers reels etc.

This used to be standard a DVD was £10 15 for a big film and it came with all the extras that was even then pushing value for money at 15 especially when actual production costs are so low.
For example a small record company or a self pubslihed musis CD costs £3.50 TOTAL to make and pay all parties involved in production thats the price the shops buy it for(was in a good documentary a year or two ago on BBC cant remember the name, might have been a panorama or horizon article). Thats for a small company producing small scale 100,000-500,000 disks however the larger companies make these for even less 50p or less for large runs in the millions as is common. And you are buying these disks for £15 on the high street thats huge proftis for everyone involved however the artist rarely gets paid a great deal more than there original advance most goes to the production and sales companies. Thats to much for the product, DVDs are the same they cost only slightly more to make even with extensive extra content(if youve ever used DVD editing creation software you know how easy this kind of thing is to do) yet you are charging £20 for a box and a disk.

Even downloads arent exempt, what they are doing is selling things basically at an average 10 track album divide it by the average supermarket cost is the usuall price so at £1-1.50 a track you dont save any money in fact youre paying more as you dont have a hard copy, you dont have a box with lyrics and cover art youve got a data file packed with DRM and you arent paying less, if you want it on CD you have to pay again for your own CD and the electricity to burn it, doesnt sound a fair deal to me when for the same price as your album of itunes you can go to Asda or Walmart and buy it and you have the hard copy you can rip to your computer as often as you like.

Piracy will be a problem as long as people dont get what they pay for or dont feel they get what they pay for. The media companies drive the consumers into piracy by pricing products out of your average price range, i cant afford to buy a £15 album all the time or £20 for every film i want thats not just feasible for most people, but i can buy the old £5 bargain bin DVDs which often are good films they are just older ones ive got alot of films really good oscar winning films i got for a fiver on DVD and that was a fair price i didnt grudge the money the films are as good now as they were when they came out, i got my favourite film on DVD for that price. And because these are often older i have all the special content as well.

Ive been saying this for a long time if you want to stop piracy give people a reason to do so other than the threat of legal action, if people dont want to pay for it its because theres something wrong with it. If you download a film online then you dont usually get the extras its just the film what you need to do is make these extras good enough for people to want to buy the DVD for that.

You can have DRM but it has to bring something to the product and it has to be initially fairly priced. A good example is Valve and how they released and support HL2 and CSS, these are two games that were much anticipated and are sold together, they are also difficult to pirate because of Steam the game manager used by valve but it is also a highly efficeint automatic updater and they supported the game for a long time and still do not just releasing bug fixes but new maps even developing new content like HDR technology and maps and player models usually something you would have to pay for, and they sold the game for £25 a very good price and offered two more expensive packages that gave you extra games these were also fairly priced. End result a game with very little piracy and good sales over a long time, a game that still sells well and almost everyone who games alot will own or at least knows about. Now the game didnt have a great deal of DRM other than the steam platform which was crackable and you just didnt get updates but they offered a great service, it also protected the consumer, you can install steam on any computer and login and download the games you own on any computer anywhere in the world disk or no disk.

You see efforts on DRM with music and film companies and the actions of MPAA and RIAA and you cant help with drawing the conclusion that they just want to control the market so they can charge whatever they want, they arent protecting there property they are protecting artifiicially high prices. The lengths they go to do this is incedibly far the RIAA lawsuits are some of the worst publicity ever they activley sue children and the poor this is terrible publicity yet they are willing to go through with it even when clearly wrong, recently they sued a family with no computer for file sharing they are continuing with the prosecution, this kind of publicity would kill a small institution yet they feel its neccesary to preserve profits, ironically they only disuade people who would at least purchase some media from them fom buying any at all.

Tetsuo74

Tetsuo74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I totally agree with you regarding HL2, this is the perfect example of adding value for the consumer. I myself never use pirated software for a number of reasons which are not present with CDs and DVDs. Firstly I actually respect the creative input and amount of work developing a computer game requires, only the larger games companies pull in serious money, most of the small-medium companies have large teams being paid reasonable wages (Unlike buying "The Best of the Eagles" etc.) Secondly, if I was to purchase a niche game, such as an adventure (Siberia, Longest Journey etc) it would never cross my mind to illegally download it as I have made a moral decision that the product is fairly priced and that if I wish products like these to survive I must support them. This decision becomes harder when the public witnesses the cynicism displayed by the larger media companies, milking old products without adding any real new value for the customer. At with least old movies they can't suddenly find new "directors cuts" (what a wonderful term) hidden in someones shed.

The model which HL2 displays is as close to right as we have yet come. By buying the HL2 engine you are becoming a part of the product, a community that then evolves by creating new content, whether for free or purchased expansions. World of Warcraft has shown that new content is essential for the consumer, this is where traditional media has fallen behind. The problem seems more real for movies as by their nature they are a finished static product, the only value that can be added are extras. But with CDs there are opportunities to provide flexible content, for example: why not have songs available to purchase as they are written, demos that paid up members can listen to and feel they have an input. If a membership system was introduced the extra value could be created, streamed live concerts, interviews, surveillance of recording sessions, and other perks which would make the consumer pay in a different way for a tangible benefit, access to desired content. It may be a bad example but the U2 Propaganda website has tried this with some success, an early attempt but at least an attempt at selling rolling content.

John

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Alot of the new emergant bands have used the approach of invloving there fans in an online community the recent hits from srctic monkeys are a good example of this they had a large and loyal fanbase and they offered live tracks and videos online for years this directly contributed to there popularity when they eventually signed on a larger label.

The steam model is doing really well now there are alot of games going in with them now and its a good example of how things can work and they have the right attitude of customers first. I just reinatlled it to find one of my other games that i bought Earth2160 was added to the steam lists this is great for me it was another good example of value for money content Earth2160 came in a nice box very old fashioned cardboard with good cover art and a cool movement sensing led flasher device that added to the whole effect, a huge high quality manual and not just the game disk but the soundtrack included which made it a good value purchase the whole thing was high quality and you could tell they had taken time with the product and this wsa from a small company in germany that released the game regionally so they didnt run out of supplies and test markets and find flaws they also had a good system that after you registered you recieved extra content(new skirmish maps etc.) thats the way to get someone to buy something.

Ill buy most of my games no porblem i dnt grudge the money for them if they are good, if it is something rubbish or i want to try a game and im skint ill borrow one from a friend and try it because i hate demos ild rather play the finished product for an hour than a demo for two before i decide to buy it, there is nothing worse than trying a demo and buying the game and its way to short or the plot line sucks. But the games industry in general have a much better attitude towards consumers and are even willing to admit when they are wrong we saw this recently when Ubisoft responded to a boycott of there products using starforce by removing starforce from all there products.

I hate director cuts as well, and you notice its only the big US companies that do it, if i go and buy a DVD of a film that was made by the BBC or a series it is the directors cut and includes the stuff you cant show on TV or in a cinema.

Tetsuo74

Tetsuo74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bump

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try not to bump we dont like it, although a random reply works just as well, if you need help with random and almost irelevant replies consult fleamailman our OT guru.