Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Place Volume Icon In The Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

CTripleXL

CTripleXL

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I click control panel> sounds and audio devices. I then under the volume tab try to place a [X] where it says Place Volume Icon In The Taskbar.

After trying to click the box I get a error message saying, "Windows cannont display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel."

I do just that, but cant find any where to install the Volume Control Program.

Can any one please help me?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What kind of sound card do you have? Is it onboard sound? It may be that your sound drivers have been corrupted. Do you have a windows cd so you can delete the sound drivers in device manager and install new ones fro the cd? Most motherboard makers have onboard sound drivers on their websites. If you have a sound card in the computer i would look for updated drivers from the sound card website.

Do not go to add/remove porgrams. In device manager right click your sound icon, click properties and look to where you can update the drivers. If you have the update file on your computer use the update window to find that driver. If it is a exe file you can just double click on the file and it should install itself.

SRX660

CTripleXL

CTripleXL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a Dell computer, the soundcard that is in the computer is called SoundMax Digital Audio. I tried to update it by going to the driver properties but it told me that there was no better update than the one I have. I need this icon in my taskbar because I do a lot w/ music.

Have any more ideas now that you know what soundcard I have?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, sounds, speech and audio, sounds and audio

[attachment=8324:attachment]

CTripleXL

CTripleXL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I go there, try to click the box where it says place volume control on the taskbar and i get this error message.

"Windows cannont display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel."

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):

CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):

e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.

6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

CTripleXL

CTripleXL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I wish that I could, my computer came w/ windows already installed. I dont have a cd-rom for windows xp.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD to run this, if you downloaded SP2, you need and SP1 XP CD

:whistling: Post 10,000 :blink:

CTripleXL

CTripleXL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
What is sp2? and where can i get SP1 XP CD?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, which version is shown there

Advertisements

CTripleXL

CTripleXL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you know anyone who has the same version and the disc?

CTripleXL

CTripleXL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
no

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can find Sndvol32.exe in the WIN_17.CAB file.

Using find-file type: .CAB on the top line, and when all of the cabinet files appear,
type: Sndvol32.exe , on the bottom line, pressing "Search" each time.

The WIN_17.CAB file will appear, open the file and scroll down to Sndvol32.exe ,
then right-click on the file and choose "extract", in the window which should appear
point to: C:\WINDOWS and click OK.

CTripleXL

CTripleXL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
that did not work, why is this so difficult?

I found the SNDVOL32 file and I double click it and get this error message.

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware."

Edited by CTripleXL, 08 May 2006 - 04:52 PM.