Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AV for Vista?

• Please log in to reply

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
Anyone know if there are any beta AV's out yet? I heard Kaspersky had one but I can't find it. :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you mean vista ready or do you mean 64-bit?

Apps that will run on Xp will run on Vista. The only thing that I can think of that would have made an AV upgrade necessary was the WinFS file system, which was stripped out--even then, an old AV program would have worked, but a redesigned AV app might have gained something from WinFS (for example, extreme increase in scanning might be possible)

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
Hiya gerryf,

I meant for the 32-bit version. I tried ver 9.1 of Norton CE and a beta version of Kaspersky, but the results were not pretty. Norton wouldn't even install. Kaspersky installed but was not operable in Vista and after a reboot, I got a message like "Device Driver caused {some kind of problem blah blah blah} - blue screen something or other" Anyway, it didn't work, and I had to use Last known good to recover it. :blink:

I know I could get Windows OneCare and it comes with Defender but I was hoping to find an AV too, just for kicks. :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm using Avast! Not sure if it will work with 64-bit.

(One Care does include A/V too)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Scrolling through the betanewsgroups

Antivirus program that work with build 5365 with notes
eTrust from CA
Nod32
TrendMicro Small Business (x86, no 64-bit)
Mcafee Enterprise 8.0i (x86, no 64-bit)

Antivirus program that work with limitations under 5365 with notes
Avast Home 4.6 (if IE doesn't work after installing it, disable web shield (x86,x64)
AVG 7.0 Free (some users reported that it doesn't work, update also doesn't work etc), (x86)
CA's eTrust AV 7.1 (under XP Compatibility, x64)
SAV10 (few users) (x86)
KAV (just added do to your issue---first I'd heard Kapersky did not work)

Antivirus program that DO NOT work or work with 5365 with notes
Norton AV (most Norton AV wouldn't install))
McAfee 9.0
McAfee Virus scan 9.1
Nod32 (x64)
Norman Virus Control 5.8 (x86)
PC-Cillin 2006 and previous versions

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well I tried McAfee Total Protection Beta and hey it says on there website that they are not offering support for windows vista, but it does work and it is compatible with windows vista. I ran it and installed it restarted my PC and I now have Virus protection, Privacy controls, firewall protection, data backup and more. The only thing is it says that you are not fully protected and something is not installed but everything works perfectly fine.