Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect Player Installer appears to open too small

• Please log in to reply

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is a really frustrating problem, which Sony were unable to help me with.

For some reason whenever I try to install the Sony Connect software which came with my NW-A1000, the intallation window opens too small, so I can't click the "Agree" button on the license. (See attatched picture)

Why is this happening?!

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• connectproblem.jpg

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you scroll down to the bottom, can you see anything to press there

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Nope. I think this screenshot of the previous screen better illustrates the problem...

Attached Thumbnails

• connectergh2.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this a Canadian version?

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No. The unit and therefore software CD were purchased in the UK.

I've used the CD to install the software before, which makes me think it's more likely to be a problem with this actual computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I can only find an update, which wants the previous version to be installed

Have you got another PC you can run the software CD on, just to check if it has the same problem

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They also have this

A number of users have reported problems when using "CONNECT Player" software. Such problems may include slow performance or difficulty in installing the software. Sony is currently investigating these problems. There are 2 options currently available. Please read the information below to decide on your preferred option.

http://www.sony.co.u...&site=odw_en_GB

If none of the suggested solutions cures the issue, we recommend the use of an alternative Sony software (known as "SonicStage") which will remedy the above-mentioned issues. "SonicStage" software may be downloaded here.

It must be widespread because they have a freephone number and they don't get those out unless they are feeling guilty

If you are still experiencing problems, and have tried the above suggestions, please call our Connect Help-line on 0800 169 5263 (UK customers) or 1800 220 202 (Eire Customers) open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday & 10am-4pm Saturday and Sunday.
Sony apologises for any inconvenience caused to our customers and hopes that the information provided above will enable you to enjoy your Sony product.

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The CD is fine, it works OK on my desktop. In fact, it installed fine on this laptop, it's only since reformatting the laptop has the CD stopped working.

I've tried the help number... but it's not very helpful, and I've used SonicStage before... it's abysmal and the actual mp3 player will not function correctly after use.

Would XPize cause a problem like this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have XPize and it hasn't caused that, have you got version 4.4

It is reversible if you used the back up current settings when you installed it

Uninstall any reference to connect player software

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try the connect software

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Couldn't do this, being a relatively new Dell computer I have no OS disc :whistling:

I removed XPize and found it to make no difference; TuneUp couldn't help either :blink:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked the video adapter drivers

Boot the PC to safe mode with networking

Load the CD to the point where it won't display the agreement, right click a clear part of the desktop, click properties, click settings, check it is 32 true bit and change the monitor resolution to 800 by 600 to see if it adjusts the installer box

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Display is all fine, it's playing NeverWinter Nights at full res with full textures without any lag. I have all the latest drivers.

When in safe mode, I can't actually change the res, I can ask it to, but it won't actually do anything when I click OK.

I think I may have found a workaround. When I explore the CD, deep inside folders there are about 6 different setup files for various components on the Connect software. Will it matter what order I install these in?

Edited by happy-and-lost, 26 May 2006 - 04:17 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Set a restore point then try them, you can refer to the restore point if you install any in the wrong order

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
That did the trick... just.

For some reason it's all in Japanese, but all I use it for is transferring songs, so that's not a problem. Works just fine.

Thanks for all your help :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

Probably worth keeping an eye on the Sony site

Or maybe the update they have now will be in English

Though if it works, it works