Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do a make a program...

• Please log in to reply

obin_gam

obin_gam

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am about to make a inventory of my dvd collection.

I have tried to download several "movie collection programs", but none of them is easy to use.
Therefore I want to make my own "movie collection program" but since I really dont have any knowhow in tha area of programbuilding, I would like to have some help of some sort.

If anyone could wright down some sort of step-by-step tutorial about how to create a inventory-program, or point me to a website with that sort of tutorials, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance/
R

Advertisements

ryurek

ryurek

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I would assume, and this is just my opinion, that your best bet would be MS Access. It's a database program that would make what you want to do pretty simple, once you learn how to do it. If you have no experience in Access, or no eagerness to learn, Excel (or any spreadsheet program) would be my next best alternative. The problem with a spreadsheet is the visual aspect, you'd probably have to scroll across the screen to see all fields and they'd pretty much all be as big as the biggest field. Access allows you to put all the fields on one page, or see the whole list depending on what you want to do. Of course learning a programming language and building an array with a nice interface is also an option, but if this is your end-goal, then I'd stick with MS Office products....if they're available.

MS has a free templates section on their office family website. They have a DVD collection database already created for you. Check MS Access Templates and look at the possibilities. Hope that helps, if you're dead set on programming something all your own, then I'll be quiet and let others make suggestions as I'm still quite wet behind the ears.

obin_gam

obin_gam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Hm... I will check out thew ms access program.
The only proplem is, that I dont have access. I have the "word, exel and outlook" release of Office.
But the program access should be easy to find in some friends house or something.

I have already tried to do an inventory on exel, but it looks like sh*t.

It would be fun to try out and make my own inventory program, but then again, I have not much time over, and I havent got the right skills.
So if anyone have a "from-scratch-tutorial" I can get a look at, I think I would like to try and make my own program.

Edited by obin_gam, 06 June 2006 - 03:46 AM.

babyloniantg

babyloniantg

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Microsoft Visual C# express edition comes with a template for movie collections. Although I personally haven't tried it out, it shouldn't be too bad to configure to your own liking. The express edition is free and you can download it off Microsoft's website, just google it. In case you need help they actually have a (free) starter video series on the website too. Hope this helps.