Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is the problem with this?

• Please log in to reply

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
i tried downloading 3 different antivirus software & then it says publisher unknown & asks if i still want to run the program. i decided to not continue on. then i tried spybot search & destroy 2 x's from their official site & it says set up files are corrupted. if anyone knows what i should do, i would appreciate the help. btw, i run on windows xp...

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello s2006.

Which Anti-virus software products did you try?

And with Spybot, if I understand you correctly, you may need to change the site you get the updates from. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, see the attachment below.

[attachment=9455:attachment]

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
STILL NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
compwiz thank u for ur response, i tried spyware dr (i think that's the name), xoft, & another i don't remember. i just NOW finished downloading AVG...a GEEK U staff member posted this link. well i downloaded it & it too says installation files are corrupt, something about try setting new soemthing but at this point that message disappeared &now another window shows "installation in progress" w/the green bar going & above it it says this:

Extracting license_us.txt
Extracting avgsetup.exe
Extracting sporder.dll
Extracting files.dat
CRC failed in files.dat
Unexpected end of archive

I have been having so many problems with this and my video project with WMM. i'm beyond being frustrated at this point.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
ok i fnished downloading, where is the malware section to post the log? i can't find it
also can't i just copy & paste the log to the post???

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
computerwiz i have my log on the malware forum...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Not quite what I asked. I wanted to see if it was malware or something else. I wanted you to attach the log here, not post in the Malware forum.

From looking at it, there is no infection at all.

Try the following. Note, you may need to download the program from another computer if you have problems with your own.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

If it didn't work, try this:

Insert your Windows XP CD. Go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /scannow and press enter. When it is finished, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists. If you have any trouble running this, check out the following link: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

Still no go? Try this:

Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 July 2006 - 09:07 PM.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
oops sorry computerwiz!
before i start anything...i don't know if this matters up to this point but a couple of wks ago, my hard drive went out on my laptop (only 6 mnths old) . i had some young tech guy check to see if any data was there & he said it was all gone. i bought a new hard drive & installed it. i restored the operating system with the disk it came with.
what do u think this might have caused the corrupted files? what exactly did u find in my log? when they says corrupted files what are they referring to?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

what do u think this might have caused the corrupted files?

I can only give you possible causes. I cannot accurately say what happened since I do not know the entire situation. Possible causes of corruption:

1. Power outtage while computer was on.
2. Power surge.
3. Deteriorating or malfunctioning hard drive.
4. Dropping the laptop (especially while on)
5. Severe overheating.
6. Exposure to a magnet.
7. Severe fragmentation

and possibly a few other things.

what exactly did u find in my log?

Nothing, other than you don't have an anti-virus program.

when they says corrupted files what are they referring to?

Your data. Wheter it is your personal data or your operating system depends on the situation where you see that "they" say there is data corruption.

Let me know how it goes after following my directions.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
[quote]what exactly did u find in my log?[/quote]
Nothing, other than you don't have an anti-virus program.

HAHAHA that's the very thing i'm trying to do but noooooooooooooo i have this complicated matter, so in the meantime my laptop is in risk mode!

Let me know how it goes after following my directions.
[/quote]

to be honest i'm feeling quite scared but i'll start with step 1...here i go

Advertisements

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
after the download, it asked if i wanted to run the program though publisher unknown, i said yes. it prompted a message about the directory file not being a valid windows 32 application. i also have been getting an invalid file format message when i upload my windows movie maker video onto a site. does this change what i should do next?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Jeez, your computer really is messed up. :whistling:

Skip the green instructions and go to the purple one. If no go, continue to the blue instructions.

Still no go after both, let's try to repair Windows XP.

You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Make sure you follow the directions at that link EXACTLY. If you do not, you may accidentally format and reinstall Windows, thus losing all your data! There are pictures to help confirm you are proceeding correctly.

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 July 2006 - 10:25 PM.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
:whistling: sorry to give u such a headache computerwiz!
in the purple instructions, u want me to insert the XP CD...are u referring to the system restore cd it came with??? b/c that's the only cd it has.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Nope, not the right CD. You will need a full XP CD to do these intstructions, except for the blue instructions.

Go ahead and do the blue instructions, and if that doesn't work, try to find a friend of yours who has an XP CD that you can borrow. :whistling:

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
good to see u compwiz!
i've been worried about my laptop :whistling:
so i did start, run, typed sfc.exe /scannow
it prompted a flash of a window w/a black screen then disappears. i tried doing the procedure again but it did the same thing....
is this what it was supposed to do???
i think not for some reason