Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about buying a laptop

• Please log in to reply

nykid88

nykid88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm shopping for a laptop, and I've found two laptops that are the same exact laptop except for the processors. One has an Intel® Core™ processor Solo T1350 (2MB Cache/1.86GHz/533MHz FSB), and the other is more expensive, and has Intel® Core™ processor DUO T2050 (2MB Cache/1.60GHz/533MHz FSB). I was just wondering if I could have advice on which one would be better. Thanks.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

One has an Intel® Core™ processor Solo T1350 (2MB Cache/1.86GHz/533MHz FSB), and the other is more expensive, and has Intel® Core™ processor DUO T2050 (2MB Cache/1.60GHz/533MHz FSB).

Like you said, the only difference is the processor. If you get the Intel® Core™ processor DUO T2050, you'll be paying more for a slower processor than the Intel® Core™ processor Solo T1350. Both the laptops will operate at about the same speeds and you won't notice a big difference between them.

It depends on the speed you'd rather have and what your budget is.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The solo processor is a single core the duo is a dual core thats the difference.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
And I would look for an AMD. :whistling:

Johanna

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
So would I. We are here to help people with choosing the right things, so get an AMD :whistling: .

Nah,

Go for the Intel you like best.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you plan to upgrade to Vista when it is eventually released, I'd be looking for a dual core processor and maybe even a 64 bit one, at that. You'll also want at least 1 gig of RAM and preferrable 2 gigs...Vista seems to be a bit of a resource hog.

I agree with Johanna, that an AMD processor will not only get you "more bang for the buck", but they tend to run cooler under load than Intel processors...an important distinction when using a laptop machine.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Question,
how much difference will it make if you have a slower processor and less ram. If the machine is used mostly for low tech apps, will there be that much of a difference?
I ask because I am working with a week old laptop here, could not beat the price for what I needed.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you want to run Vista properly...using the Aero desktop, you're going to need at least a gig of RAM. On my Vista machine with nothing running but Vista, Avast, and Firefox it's using 26% of the available memory. In my case, that translates to a little better than 512MB at idle.

The reason I suggest a dual core is to reduce the load on the processor which helps keep the temps lower and the applications faster...particularly when working with graphics. Vista will run with the lower speeds and memory specs, but the performance will not be all that great.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually that AMD advantage in bang for buck and lower heat output is pretty much gone and for laptop chips has never really existed, the mobile pentiums were superior laptop chips in every respect to the AMD chips out at the time which were just low power desktop chips shoved into laptops, and when they released Turion sure it was good but it wasnt hugely better than Pentium M and the prices werent as low as the desktop chips so the value wasnt there, they were first on the block with laptop proper 64 bit chips and dual core but were to expensive and the pentium M allready had been out for a long time and was proven as an excellent chip.

The new Core series is better than Turion from AMD its usually cheaper and it is faster than Turion, and Core2s are just so much faster than Turions and the low power laptop/desktop chips that there is no real comparison and its power output is really low, even the desktop core 2s would make good laptop chips.

I like AMD but they arent going to do well this year they are allready taking a big profit hit in anticipation of core 2 and K8L is still a long way away and there isnt any mention of updated laptop chips to compete with the amazing laptop kit intel has on the go.